Pearl Ex as makeup
  • Does anybody know the safety of using Pearl Ex powders as makeup? It seems very similar to the mineral-type makeups out there.
  • Hi there,

PearlEx powdered pigments are developed as an art material and not designed for use as a makeup.

anet
  • Wow! That sounded like a response straight from your attorney's office. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Well, at the risk of getting another similar answer, what about in the decorating of cakes and cookies that are meant to be eaten?

The container does state that it's "non-toxic" but that is really such a vague claim.

I'm certain there are many who would claim that decorating cakes and faces is an art-form.
  • If it's not supposed to be used for makeup....then you better watch the youtube videos...there's posting of using these pigments as eyeshadows and lipgloss...

Plus on the package there's no statment as such to not use as MAKEUP...so maybe you better cover yourself to put that on your packages from now on...Your package does read NON-TOXIC........But it doesn't state 'NOT FOR MAKEUP USAGE...
  • WillowLights said:
    If it's not supposed to be used for makeup....then you better watch the youtube videos...there's posting of using these pigments as eyeshadows and lipgloss...

Plus on the package there's no statment as such to not use as MAKEUP...so maybe you better cover yourself to put that on your packages from now on...Your package does read NON-TOXIC........But it doesn't state 'NOT FOR MAKEUP USAGE...

From Merriam-Webster:

TOXIC
    1 : containing or being poisonous material especially when capable of causing death or serious debilitation

Just because it isn't "poisonous" doesn't mean that it should be used on the skin or much less eaten! My fear would be the taste!
    Anyway, you can't expect these guys to print on the packaging everything that you SHOULDN'T do with their product. That doesn't make sense.
    And I don't think anyone specifically said that you CAN'T use it for makeup, but they said that it was not created for this purpose. Of course they can't condone certain actions with their product.
    Take a gun for instance. It CAN be used to shoot a human, but unless the manufacturer is selling the gun to the U.S. military, they aren't going to say that shooting a human is OK...
  • mkatz said:
    Dear Knittingmom, You are so right about the legalistic reply about eating Pearl Ex. I hope you understand the world is one big liability.
    To use Pearl Ex even as a cosmetic-not even as a food stuff-so I'm talking about topical application to skin-it would have to be sterilized and tested extensively. It would come under FDA rules which are extensive and the cost for perhaps the same product would have to go up 2 to three times. If it was used a food additive there would be even more testing and purification...etc. So you see the dilemma. Sorry.

Cosmetic companies can use any ingredient they want in their products. The only FDA regulation is the individual ingredient. Food grade is totally different than cosmetic and really can't be compaired. In fact the products used in craft pigments can very well be the same as those in makeup and from many products I have used from both sides. I have looked into the properties of many of the products on the MSDS of which any comapny can provide for you. According to OHSA are required to be able to supply to you.
    Not saying they should be used for makeup. There are many resons as to why it is nto safe to assume it is the same and can be harmful to a client. Not to mention the consistency is not the same. But, If indeed they are not meant for use on the skin then the company needs to have this noted.
    There are no real regulations on makeup products, the FDA has the power to pull any item or ingredient from the shelf if it finds it dangerous or harmful. Typiclly happens after the fact they have raised a problem. Lookup FDA regulations on makeup.
  • WOW!

Just had to jump in here. I've done a fair amount of looking into this myself and nowhere in my extensive perusal of Jacquard Products website do they indicate that the Pearlex pigments are appropriate for use as a makeup or for use in food decorating. As evidenced by everything at their website they are an art materials manufacturer. I even called the company and asked if the product was usable as a makeup or food decorating ingredient and was told - very clearly - that the PearlEx should not be used in either of those applications.
    As for the non toxic classification, again, based on my own investigation, there is nothing in the Pearl ex that is going to cause you to fall over dead if you happen to get some on your skin or ingest some. All the same, even something as innocuous as peanut butter or crayons, while non toxic aren't something one would use as an eyeshadow and you won't find me grating crayons onto my birthday cakes.
    As for the YouTube vids - really?? YouTube is also a great place to watch idjits in action - doesn't mean I'm going to ride a bike off the barn roof.
    It all comes down to doing our own investigation and using the good sense we were born with - and one last obvious thing....nowhere on any of their packaging does it say you CAN or SHOULD use the Pearlex as a makeup or food decoration.

keeping it merry!
  • made marryum said:
    WOW!

Just had to jump in here. I've done a fair amount of looking into this myself and nowhere in my extensive perusal of Jacquard Products website do they indicate that the Pearlex pigments are appropriate for use as a makeup or for use in food decorating. As evidenced by everything at their website they are an art materials manufacturer. I even called the company and asked if the product was usable as a makeup or food decorating ingredient and was told - very clearly - that the PearlEx should not be used in either of those applications.
    As for the non toxic classification, again, based on my own investigation, there is nothing in the Pearl ex that is going to cause you to fall over dead if you happen to get some on your skin or ingest some. All the same, even something as innocuous as peanut butter or crayons, while non toxic aren't something one would use as an eyeshadow and you won't find me grating crayons onto my birthday cakes.
    As for the YouTube vids - really?? YouTube is also a great place to watch idjits in action - doesn't mean I'm going to ride a bike off the barn roof.
    It all comes down to doing our own investigation and using the good sense we were born with - and one last obvious thing....nowhere on any of their packaging does it say you CAN or SHOULD use the Pearlex as a makeup or food decoration.

keeping it merry!

hmm this is interesting information here ...i like it buddy :)
  • Hello

Just to add to this thread... Pearl-Ex is produced in a facility that is not rated for food or cosmetics products. So even though the pearl-Ex itself is benign who knows what was processed using the same machinery prior to the pearl-Ex.

Celia
  • My newly adopted dog (estimated under 1 yr) just found my new small jars of Pearlex while I was out for one hour. I found the jars broken open and the powders everywhere in her room. She seems fine other than some beautiful coppery paws. I have washed her, but concerned about her having breathed it in and eaten it---Twas the kit with 9 or 12 colors and only 2 remain intact.... Any suggestions or experience with this sort of situation?
  • Hi Katt,

Although the Pearl Ex powders are made from pretty benign materials they are still a powder. As such it never a good thing if your new buddy inhaled a bunch of the powders. My best recommendation would be to give your vet a call and ask them what they think.
    You can access the MSDS information right here on the web site:http://jacquardproducts.com/msds-sheets.html#px. Your vet may want some of the info from those.

annette
  • I know this threat is like 4 years old but I believe I can help with this.
    For the FDA in makeup categories, there is a standard allowable amount of lead to be in makeup products. (A low amount of course so that people dont die of lead poisonong).

You can find more info here
    http://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productandingredientsafety/productinformation/ucm137224.htm

Lead in art supplies has a much lower standard but since lead has a rather colorful history in association with art supplies, especially with certain colors... I wouldnt go so far as to assume their "non-toxic" claim also means free of lead... after all, our makeup isnt.
    http://hydra.usc.edu/scehsc/pdfs/D-1-3-2 Where Lead Hides.pdf

Personally, I keep a few in my makeup drawer =P but I use them very very rarely. (maybe twice or thrice the whole time Ive had them for the past year).

• Please do NOT use things on your skin that are not expressly made for that purpose! I have my degree in Cosmetology and did many courses after graduation on different product lines and continuing education to keep up to date on the advances in Skin, hair, nail and body care. I have seen amazingly bad skin reactions from using products not made for skin. The tiny mica pieces can clog pores just like oil, skin and all other makeup however the skin's reaction and possible allergic reaction to it could be very unwelcome! There are so many well priced mica shadows out there and one great place to order it is http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductFilter.aspx?FBK=Mica&x=-915&y=-149.
    I use these guys to buy all my products to make my own natural oils, sugar scrubs and such as I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin and have to be super careful as I get contact dermatitis from things easily. Probably why I am so careful about not using anything that can bother my skin even more and why I went to Cosmetology College and did extensive courses with Dermalogica and other professional product lines. I had to quit doing perms and color after becoming dangerously allergic to their chemicals.
  • Just to reiterate - we do not support or recommend the use of PearlEx as a make-up product.

annette
  • Ok - so I can understand not near the eyes or lips where one can ingest. I've found swatching on the skin(hand) is fine with NO side effects. But I am now wondering if such can be made in nail polish? There's so many ways to make your own out there now with all the DIY's and such. So say... One wants to test it. IF all is ok ALL the way around, would it be OK? I don't see why not. I would never use stuff not for my eyes around them or my lips. But these are a different surface and different type. Yet still can be vaguely listed under "cosmetics", right???
  • If someone in my family asked to this, I would let them. I would not be concerned about any health risks. That said, we cannot recommend it as a nail polish pigment because it hasn't been tested that way, and it is irresponsible to suggest it.

The biggest risk with pearl ex remain breathing it into your lungs. Wear a mask if you are kicking up pearl ex dust.

Use at your own risk, but please use some common sense.