Jacquard Chemical Resist
  • I am not able to find any information or instructions on Jacquard web site regarding the use of Chemical Resist, but have found a couple of links in New Zealand and the University of Michigan, Textile Department. The University of Michigan link is provided by Ms Paula Burch on her web site http://www.pburch.net/dyeing.shtml

The University of Michigan posted Chemical Resist instructions for cotton using Cibracon F Dyes and Jacquard Red Label .The use of Chemical Resists sounds ‘quite’ interesting. But, again, I am not sure, if I understand its use/limitations well.

For instance: IF I paint/print on the cotton with thickened Blue Jacquard MX 232 mixed with ‘Chemical Resist’, and then paint over with the Jacquard Red Label Black, the sections painted with Blue will resist the Black color and therefore will retain its original blue? True?

Also, the instructions by the Univ. of Michigan call for boiling the cotton for 10 minutes to achieve the maximum effect of the ‘Chemical Resist.’ And, that would not work for silk.

This is why I would like to ask, if the ‘Chemical Resist’ can be used on silk by using Red Label and Procion H liquid dyes – for example - and the silk steamed to activate the ‘Chemical Resist’?

Thank you, in advance, for your assitance
  • Hi,
    The effect is variable and is achieved by capitalizing on the reactivity properties of the dye stuff with the fabric type and the chemical resist, which in the case of MX or Red Label is Soda Ash. You may not achieve the result you anticipate so my best advice would be to do a test. There are so many variables with this technique. You may also want to try it with acid dyes as well, which are one of the best dyes for silk.
    Celia
  • Thank you. Unpredictable is fun! Well, sometimes.

How is the Chemical resist activated on silk? One cannot boil the silk for 10 minutes like I could cotton. Any suggestions?
  • Hi,
    Boiling the cotton helps prepare it to receive the dye. Fortunately silk doesn't need that process as it takes color much more easily.
    Celia
  • Celia,

am very sorry,may be I did not formulate my question clearly?

The instructions for: Jacquard RED LABEL over reactive dyes for Cotton published by University of Michigan describe:

Steps 1-6: How to prepare and mix dyes with Chemical resist, etc..

Step. 7. Steam fabric for 8-12 minutes

Step 8. Wash out excess dye and then boil the fabric for about 10 minutes to achieve the full chemical resist effect.

My question is: IF I omit Step 8. how do I activate the chemical resist effect on silk?

In other words, I hesitate to purchase the product, unless I know there are some instructions by Jacquard included for silk. Please let me know.

• Dear Celia,

am puzzled why my question remains unanswered. You do represent Jacquard products, don't you?
  • Hi,

Unfortunately I didn't get notification that you had posted up a further question.

Sorry I do not have instructions available for the chemical resist technique on silk. Please call 1800 442 0455 and ask customer service if they have any recommendations.

Celia
  • Pat Williams, owner of the DyersLIST mailing list, posted several years ago that her chemical resist recipe will not work on silk, only on cellulose fibers. This could be because silk has more than one way to attach to reactive dyes.

Paula
  • Hi,
    Thanks Paula for your help.
    Celia
  • Paula,

appreciate your assistance in finding the answer. Yes, I just found the reference by Patricia.

I guess, it may be reasonable to infer that the chemical resist may not work on silk using ‘ANY’ dyes under Remazols.
  • Yes, from what Pat Williams wrote, I think that the Remazol type dye might manage to attach as an acid dye, in which case blocking the reactive attachment from forming would not be sufficient. You'd get Remazol coloring the areas where you want only the other kind of dye. It shouldn't matter whether you use Procion MX, Procion H, or Cibacron F dyes for mixing with the Chemical Reactive Resist.

It looks like a really neat technique, a lot less trouble than laboriously going over your foreground detail with a physical resist, such as wax, before overdyeing to color the background. It looks like you could use completely incompatible colors for foreground and background, such as dyeing a blue background with a yellow foreground, without getting any green as you would in typical batik work.

(Pat's instructions are also shown, without byline, on the Jacquard website under the top-level 'How To', under the 'Techniques' tab.)

Paula
  • Paula,

yes, it sounds like a neat technique. And, I keep wondering why this product is not more popular. May be it contains strong chemicals some users may shy away from? Or, perhaps because it is not well understood?

I have to revert to your web site where you posted more information on chemical resists yesterday.

Thank you, again, for sharing your knowledge with us.
  • Remazol dyes themselves are not as popular as I think they ought to be, and they're much easier to find than Chemical Reactive Resist. The only reason I even know about the chemical resist technique is because of reading what Pat Williams has written, as the result of her use of this technique in her classes. I wonder how she came to learn of it in the first place.

The sad thing is that the number one most popular dye for hand dyeing here is the highly inferior hot water dye known as all purpose dye, for no other reason than that one brand of it is ubiquitous, found in nearly every grocery store or pharmacy in the US.

I'm doing what I can to promote the use of superior materials, starting with Procion MX type dyes, because the quality of what one produces depends so vitally on the quality of the materials used.

Paula
  • Paula,

it is difficult for me to determine how Jacquard positions itself in the market place. I cannot even find Jacquard Procion MX dyes at Michaels. But ‘all purpose dyes’ are displayed on four shelves in both powder and liquid form.

Even this forum does not seem to be monitored by senior Jacquard staff concerned in increasing their sales or otherwise expanding their client base. Because if it was, some questions regarding the use of their products would have been clarified with more care.

To date, I have asked two questions here. One was related to the concentration and dichargeability of Jacquard Red Label and the second regarding the use of Chemical resist.

I have learned that the Red Label information I inquired about is not available, yet. But this product has been on the market for some 10 years? I wonder if live long enough to see it. Ha.

And, you may have noticed the level of clarification I had received regarding the use of chemical resist on silk. Hard to tell how Pat Williams learned about this product. May be she had received a small grand to test it and write instructions. Well, that is just a wild guess.

Your efforts in educating us on quality and safety of various dyes do not become unnoticed. Trust me, we all appreciate it. I can imagine, it is an endless job, but hope you will not give up. Both, your web site and your forum are managed very professionally.