Dye type for 100% cotton sheets
  • I want to dye my new 100% white cotton sheets. I like bright colors so I was wondering if I should use idye or Procion MX. I have only tried dying something once before and it wasn't a huge success. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
    Meredtih
  • Hi Meredtih,

There are a few factors to consider when choosing a dye; ease of application, cost & wash fastness.
    Procion MX will be the most wash fast of the two dyes you are considering, however, when dyeing large pieces like sheets you will want to dye them in a machine (preferably a top loader that allows you to reset the initial cycle and thereby extending the dye time). The other benefit to dyeing with the Procion MX is that it is not necessary to use very hot water to ensure deep colors and fixing.
    Dyeing with the iDye also requires a washing machine for the best results and again the top loader is best to allow for extending the dye time. iDye is, however, not quite as wash fast as the Procion MX.
    When considering cost iDye is going to be somewhat less expensive. Dyeing with Procion MX in the machine requires more dye and will therefore be a bit more expensive.

hope this helps
    annette
  • Thank you so much. I will use Procion MX. I want colour fastness as I will be sewing the flat sheet to the back of my favourite doona covers. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. Much appreciated. Many thanks. Meredith.
  • Glad to be of help. Just in case you hadn't found it, here is the link to the instructions: http://jacquardproducts.com/assets/jacquard-site/product-pages/dyes/procion-mx/Procion MX Instructions.pdf

annette