Idye color remover failed.... should I proceed?
  • I just used idye color remover on a 100% cotton, indigo colored jacket and followed the directions faithfully (boiling water on stove top, etc.) Absolutely NOTHING happened. The color remained exactly the same and the water in which it had been immersed was likewise unchanged. I then tried again, again following directions, this time trying to remove the color from an ivory/beige jacket that was 50% cotton and 50% poly. Again, nothing happened AT ALL. I was planning to dye the ivory/beige jacket with a packet of idye violet and a packet of idye poly violet. Since the idye color remover had absolutely no impact on the beige jacket, should I even attempt to dye it using the dual idye/poly idye combination--or is the same thing likely to happen all over again? And what about the all cotton item on which the idye color remover likewise had no impact? If I try to dye these 2 items with the dyes I have bought, what is the likelihood that they will take on any new coloring?? I am really hugely disappointed--- I had eagerly awaited the arrival of the dyes and had (naively??) assumed that everything would work fine! So now I have 2 wet jackets and I don't know whether to proceed with the actual dyeing or just give up now.
    Hope someone will respond soon!
    LyndaBoo
  • Hi Lynda,

I think the first thing we need to do is get a batch number from you for the iDye Color Remover. If you would kindly call in to customer service at 800 442 0455 I'll let someone know to expect a call from you.
    Often colors are resistant to discharging, but because you have two items that did not discharge there is a possibility that the Color Remover is old.

thank you!
    annette
  • We are not usually this efficient at my house, but after I did the dye removal (attempt) in the kitchen, I put the package into the recycle bin and my son took the recycle off to the dump this morning-- so unfortunately, I no longer have the package. I am not at home at the moment, but--if you think it would be useful --- when I get home I could at least send you whatever information is contained on the packaging for the idye violet and the idye poly violet. In any case, as for the beige jacket (the 50% poly/50% cotton item) that is still stubbornly beige. Is it possible that it will absorb the dye if it did not react at all to the dye remoVer? And by the way-- Thanks ever so much for your help!
    LyndaBoo
  • Hi Lynda,

The batch numbers from the two dyes are unlikely to be of any help determining the number for the Color Remover.
    It is very likely that the dyes will work on the beige jacket - dye is much less volatile than the Color Remover chemical. In fact these two dyes are very, very stable. Also, because you are overdyeing with a dark color the beige may not affect the final color of the jacket.
    I am still suspicious of the Color Remover - even if the original dyes were resistant it seems unlikely that there was NO shift of color.
    Give us a call if you'd like - we'd like to make this work for you!

annette
  • I was just about to leap in and get the stove-top pot ready with the idye and idye poly when I suddenly remembered that there was also a product called "idye poly intensifier," which the instructions for dyeing a cotton-poly mix fabric recommended one should use. Is this item genuinely a necessity or a sufficiently important color booster to warrant my holding up dyeing until I can acquire some? I am very anxious to get going--- but I also want to have the best color possible when the job is done. I'd appreciate your input here. And thanks!
    LyndaBoo
  • There should be a packet of the intensifier in with the iDye. If not, let us know.