• I am new in this field. I want to dye a dress, 100% polyester. It is pink and I want it red.

1. Should I keep the water at a certain temperature? Because I thought that if the water boils, it would affect the fabric.
    2. Taking in consideration that the dress is pink, how can this affect the final color (red)?
    3. Can I use something like salt or vinegar for the color to be more intense?

If there is any "secret" or things I should pay attention to, pleas let me know. I really like that dress and I don't want to deteriorate it.
  • Hi Oana,

We do recommend raising the temperature to a full boil for the best results, but you can certainly try the dyeing at a lower temp. I would, however, strongly suggest taking the temperature to at least a simmer and maintain the temperature there. http://jacquardproducts.com/assets/jacquard-site/product-pages/dyes/idye/iDye Poly Instructions.pdf
    Because the dress is pink and you are over dying a deeper tone in the same family of color there should be little affect to the desired final color.
    Neither salt or vinegar will contribute anything to the process.
    Having said all that I do want to say that dyeing isn't an exact science when you don't have the opportunity to test how different fabrics are going to react to different dye colors and water temperatures. My parting advice would be that if the dress is very important to you you may want to enjoy it in its present color.

hope this helps
    annette
  • You are so nice! Thank you for the promptitude! :)
    In about 2 weeks I'll tell you about the result.

Wish you all the best,
    Oana