Substitute for Jacquard Wood & Reed Dye
  • I have been looking for a suitable (key word here being "suitable") substitute for the amazing and highly reliable Wood & Reed Dye. It was a sad day indeed when Jacquard ceased manufacturing such a great product. I've asked before but guess I'll never know why it was discontinued. Anyway, to get to my point, I dye fallen pine needles for use in pine needle basketry. I use them and sell them. Years ago, when the amazing W&R dye was axed, Jacquard recommended substituting their Procion MX. I'm here to tell you it is NOT the same nor is it anywhere nearly as reliable. I get occasional hit-and-miss success but it's highly dependent upon the dryness of the pine needle. Can anyone tell me if there is a better Jacquard dye for this application? I need extreme strength and brilliance. Better yet what can I do to get Jacquard to bring back Wood and Reed???
  • Hi Artgal,

Have you tried our new-ish Basic Dye line? They are available through our Bulk and Specialty Store. These are a great dye for wood, reeds & acrylic and should work much like the Wood & Reed Dye for your pine needles. Check out the color chart here: http://store.jacquardproducts.com/category_colors/dyes_basic-dye/

hope this helps
    annette
  • Hi Annette,

Thanks for your reply. I'm on my way to check out the new Basic Dyes. I'll try *anything* if it will give me the results that Wood and Reed did.

Thank you for the tip. I'll let you know how it works out,
    Barb
  • Great! I think you find them just what you need.