Tie-dying with Dye-na-Flow?
  • How do I use Dye-na-Flow to tie dye. I know you can dilute with water to tie-dye using squirt bottles, but what is the ratio of water to dye? Anything else that I need to know for this process? I am planning to tie dye with kids, and I would rather use dye-na-flow because of it being non-toxic and probably easier for the kids to use.

Thanks in advance!
  • Sounds like great fun!

You can dilute Dye-Na-Flow up to 25% with water. I suggest experimenting a little bit with the ratios so that your colors don't get too weak. It is a great way to do tie dye with kids (although the standard Procion method is considered non-toxic, it is nice to be able to clean the kids up with soap and water rather than sending them home with orange, or blue, or green fingers!:) ) The other advantage is that you can use shirts of mixed fibre content--50/50 poly cotton blend for example. Remember to set the shirts with a hot dry iron (after the paint drys) or you can take them to a laudromat and set them in a hot dryer. (Home dryers or okay but not as hot as commercial ones so the set might not be quite as good)
    Practice on your own to learn how much color to apply for the most beautiful results, you won't do a rinse out when using Dye-Na-Flow the way you would with traditional tie dye.

It would be wonderful if you had someone take pictures (if possible) and then post them on the forum!

Have a great time!
    Noelle