Painting on Plexiglass
  • I'm new to this site. I've read comments and discussions about certain paints for screen printing on plexiglass, however I'm still unsure. I'm venturing out of canvass and into plexiglass. I'm looking for the best product you have for painting on plexiglass. Looking for quick drying time, no beading or bleeding paint.
  • Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.
    Our Jacquard Screen Printing Ink is a good product to consider for your foray into plexiglass screening.
    Jacquard's Professional Sreen Ink, not Vesatex in this case, will give you a smooth hard print on plexiglass and vinyl. It takes awhile to completly set to full hardness, maybe 3-4 days, but it can be touched and handled after 3-5 hours. You can also speed the process with heat but it is hardly worth it. You will be surprized at how durable the final print becomes.

The difficulty in printing on plexi is to attain a smooth, even image especially over a large area. The ink will lay down evenly through the screen, but when the screen is lifted the ink may have a tendency to stick to the screen, or visa versa. This "stickyness" will mottle the print. You may need to add some water to the ink to break this adhesion. In other words, you'll have to fine tune the viscosity to suit your screen.

Also, if you need tranparency it is amazing how little actual colorant you need. You may want to mix the color with Colorless extender #100. Or more likely, add color to extender. Good luck! Let us know how it works.

annette & mkatz