Help! Need basic info for setting up shirt-making event
  • I'm a college student, and I'm part of a student group that wants to do a t-shirt making event/fundraiser where we'll supply shirts, paint, and stencils, and invite people to come get creative.
    I have a few questions about the paints...
    First of all, how long would Jacquard textile paints take to dry? Should we provide an iron for heat fixing? Or will drying take so long that we should just encourage people to take them home and iron them themselves?
    Also, I'm not sure how much paint to get. I think we're going to have around 70 t-shirts, though we might not end up painting all of them if that many people don't show up. Since people are making their own shirts, there's no saying exactly how much paint will be needed for each one, but could anyone give me a rough estimate of how much paint I should get? I was planning on providing three colors. Would three 8oz bottles be a good amount?
    What types of brushes/sponges are best to use with stencils?
    I'd welcome any other advice anyone could think of for pulling off an event like this.
    Thanks!
  • Hi,

The Textile Paint is an acrylic and its drying time is dependent on the amount of paint applied, the weight of the fabric and the temperature of the room. Allow about 30 mins to one hour aproximately to dry and you should be OK. They must be ironed once dry to set the colors before washing.

As to how much paint to buy... well I would think you'll need at leat 8oz to 1pt of each color for that many shirts. You can contol the amount of paint consumed by decanting it into small cups and limiting the participants quantity per shirt.

Good luck. :)

Celia
  • Hey Megan,

Sounds like you're going to have a great time!

I often like to use sponges for stencils. Put the paint on some plastic lids and dab to load the sponge. You can also get interesting effects using brushes--just be careful about putting too much paint right around the edges or the image may get too smudgy. Craft stores carry special sponge brushes for stencilling, but they may be a bit more expensive.

I think it will be simpler to tell people to heat-set at home, since the paints must be thoroughly dry before doing so.

Take some pictures and post them on the Forum!

Noelle