Bodysuit - 86% Nylon 14% Lycra - Dye Recommendations?
  • Hello!

I'm looking for some recommendations on dyes for a white bodysuit that is 86% Nylon 14% Lycra. I'll be painting the bodysuit to look like fur, similar to a costume from Cats, and want to change the starting base color. My plan is to hand paint the bodysuit with dye so that it is a blue-grey, then go in and add details with the Lumiere and Neopaque paints. I've used the Lumiere line on the same kind of bodysuit, so I'm comfortable using those paints.

Could you recommend which dyes would work best? I've looked at the Acid Dye and the Dye-na-flow, but I'm not clear what would work for the fabric.
    Also, can AirFix be used with the Lumiere paints? Or does it only work with the Neopaque line?

Thanks for your help!
  • Hi Breanna,

Thanks for writing.
    For actually dyeing the bodysuit, with this fabric combo, I would recommend the Acid Dye or the iDye Poly. Both will require the use of the stove top method, but the Acid Dye requires slightly less heat than the iDye Poly so that may be your best bet as the fabric contains Lycra.
    The Dye-Na-Flow is a possibility, but as it is a paint rather than a dye you would be applying the pigment with a brush and I would consider that impractical for a full body suit.
    About the AirFix; yes, indeed, you may use that product with ANY of our paints.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to write back.

Happy dyeing!
    annette
  • Sorry for such a delay in thanking you! This is really helpful information. I'm getting ready to dye another bodysuit and will definitely check out the Acid Dye.
    Thank you again!
    Breanna
  • Hi Breanna,

Nice to hear from you! Would love to see your results when you are finished!

annette