• Hello! I'm new here to this site and have a bit of a creative quandary. I bought some lovely antique lace (Venetian, but unsure of fabric content) that I would like to paint to a metallic bronze or old brass. Would Lumiere work on lace and how would I proceed to do it? I do have a decent quantity of it, so I can experiment a little bit. Thanks for any advice!
  • Hi J',

Welcome!
    The Lumiere paint will work very well to achieve the metallic effect you are after. Because of the pigment load and the body of the acrylic medium used for this paint you will get a bit more hand than you do with our Textile or Dye-Na-Flow paints so that would be what I would test for - does the lace remain supple enough for your final projects. Keep in mind that the paint does soften after washing. And don't let me scare you off from trying out the Lumiere - even though it is heavier than the other paints I mentioned it is still quite soft in the overall realm of fabric paints.
    If the hand is too heavy for your final projects you could mix the appropriate Lumiere with a similar color of the Dye-Na-Flow. This does reduce the metallic effect, but the lace will remain very soft.

hope this helps...
    annette
  • ...also, wanted to mention the video at the Lumiere page on our website - excellent source of info about the different pigments and you'll get a good idea of the coverage you can expect from the paints. Unfortunately, the reflective and metallic qualities of the paints don't translate well in the video. http://jacquardproducts.com/lumiere.html

annette
  • Thank you. I plan on trying several different techniques (brush painting, diluting, and airbrushing) with the paint this weekend to see how I can get the best result. I don't mind a little stiffening of the lace as it will be used to frame a collar of a jacket that I am making. I am also curious about how best to heat set the paint. Ironing with a cloth over it seems to be one option, but would using a dryer be sufficient? The jacket that I'm making will need to be dry-cleaned eventually and I would positively cry if I ruined the lace.

However this turns out, I plan on posting on here regarding the procedure and results. Maybe I'll have discovered a brand-new, really interesting way to use this product. Thank you again!
  • Just a quick note to speak to the heat setting: I'd recommend using an iron with a cloth - the dryer doesn't get hot enough to really ensure fixation.
    Would love to hear all about the process and results and really want to see a pic of the end result.

annette
  • My daughter's vintage lace wedding shoes need a color change. I am enthusiastic about using jacquard lumiere paints (I need to cover a bad dye color) but wonder how I will be able to heat set the paint once I'm finished. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
  • Hi Sunny,

The Lumiere will work well for this project and the cool thing is that heat setting in this instance is not especially necessary! Because you are unlikely to toss the shoes in the washing machine allowing the shoes to dry for 72 hours before exposing them to puddles or other random water sources is sufficient to ensure the paints are secure on the shoes.

hope this helps
    annette