dispersing color
  • hi! I am a silk painter from the college days(about 15 years ago) and want to start painting again. I have purchased the red label dyes and own a stove top steamer. How long should I count on steaming red label dyes and how do I disperse the dye for a water colorey look(not with salt) but with water and what? I cannot remember what I used to use when I would "sprinkle" water onto the solid color so that the color would softly run. I am using gutta resist. Excited to start painting again!
  • Hi,

The answer depends on the amount of fabric and size of the steamer. A small peice say under a yard square can steam in about 30 minuets. Larger quantities may need up to 1 to 3 hours.

You can use alcohol to disperse the dyes which gives a softer effect than salt. Water will also work to some degree.

Celia
  • hi Celia-thanks for your reply. The steam time sounds much longer than I used to do but maybe it's because it is a different dye(red label) and I used to use reactive dyes that I mixed from powder form. i don't want to ruin my piece in the steamer by steaming it too long,or not enough time. My piece is 72 x 22. Any more thoughts and have you worked with the red label dyes?!

Thanks, Dana Ditesheim
  • Hi,
    For a piece that size I would probably steam it for about 45mins to 1 hour. Start by steaming small pieces for one hour then cut back to thirty minutes. Compare and adjust the steam time based on the results.
    Celia