Dye na flow for large areas
  • Hello

I would like to make a bedskirt that looks like it is dip-dyed but instead of having the sharp contrast dip dyed edge look I'd like it to fade into a water coloured effect. So it would have a totally opaque black bottom edge to about 1/3 the way up the bedskirt at which point I want it to fade - not just a straight line ombre type fade but into a water colour. The top half of the bedskirt would just be white un-dyed/coloured cotton.

I think dye na flow looks like the best option for getting the water colour effect but should I also use it for the area I want to be totally opaque? That sounds like a lot of fabric painting, given this bedskirt is going to be for a queen sized bed. Or should I dip dye it first then use the dye na flow at the edge only to get the effect I'm after?

I've never dyed fabric before or used fabric paint so fail-safe suggestions would be much appreciated!
    Thanks.
  • Hi there,

Dye-Na-Flow is certainly an option for this project, however, you are correct that undertaking a painting job of this proportion is a lot. If your bed skirt is 100% natural fibers (cotton, linen, rayon, etc.) you may find it easier to dye it with Procion MX to achieve the initial ombre effect and then use the Dye-Na-Flow to deepen the color at the bottom edge.
    Having said that, using the Dye-Na-Flow is not out of the question. You'd want to lay the skirt out so that you can work large sections (and work so that you are constantly working with wet edges). The paint will bleed to the unpainted sections giving you the 'fade' you are looking for.
    I do recommend practicing this method - if you have a similar fabric you are willing to play on - and this will give you an idea of what to expect.

Have fun!
    Good luck!
    Annette
  • Thanks for your help.

If I were do use Dye-Na-Flow for the whole job do you have any idea as to how much I would need? Would I need to layer it up in order to achieve a totally opaque black at the bottom edge?

Rosie
  • The amount of Dye-Na-Flow needed will depend on how much fabric you will be painting - I'd probably have at least 16 ounces on hand. As for the completely opaque bottom edge, because Dye-Na-Flow is transparent (like dye) for true opacity you'll want to incorporate a paint like Textile or Neopaque. You can use the Dye-Na-Flow to thin the viscosity (which will allow it to flow more easily) of the Textile or Neopaque and still increase the opacity of the paint. Hope that makes sense...

Annette
  • Okay thank you so much for your advice.

Really excited about starting this project but I will definitely be doing lots of practice runs first.

Thanks again!
    Rosie
  • Let us know how well it turns out!

Annette