an "iDye Navy" splash on bright yellow shirt plus how to dye white
  • I have a TON of Jacquard projects going, from Peal Ex, Neopaque, Dye-Na-Flow, Lumiere and Textiles, with all of the mediums necessary for fabric, wood, metal and stone. The reason I am writing is there is No White Dye for fabric and I wonder why Jacquard hasn't created one? The White Lumiere and the white Dye-Na-Flow... Will this do the trick? I really hope to find an alternative to the "Whiten & Brighten" or "White Wash" or "Color Remover" options, Will you please create a WHITE DYE?

Ok, Rant over. I have a terrible issue, I am currently dying a few shirts with a mixture of turquoise mixed with a little bit of Navy, iDye formula. Well, I've been creating colors on fabrics for so long, I have never made a mistake on something I'm wearing, since I usually wear a black T and gloves, I wore the gloves but wore a new Bright Yellow pino polo, gorgeous bright color, now it has some splash marks of the blue creation. The faucet is new and it splashed the water with super-hot water and sent the solution upon my shirt. I just now sprayed "Shout" on it, to hold the color still.

I don't like the color removers on bright fabrics as it truly fades the color to a non-wearable color. What do you use in such a case? I do have iDye Bright Yellow but the color on the shirt is much richer and a mixture I cannot achieve with the pallet I currently have in my arsenal.

Any ideas on either of these?

Also, I found that adding non-iodized salt, plus some vinegar to the bath/wash, I am able to get a vivid color, especially when adding the fixative, it is a prolonged color (I do not use a dryer post dye applications, that helps, too.)

Anyway,

Any response will be great, I appreciate your time in reading and I appreciate your time in replying.

Good day !

David
  • Hi David,

Thanks for writing. I'll do my best to address each of your questions...

There is no such thing as white dye. Dyes, by definition, are transparent: pre-existing color will always show through. This means a white dye would have no affect: it would simply be clear. In fact, some dyers are fond of saying that there is a white dye: it is called "water."

Any white colorant that would be opaque enough to effectively cover a dark ground would have to be solid particle: solid particles are different than dyes; we call them "pigments."

Pigments work well for coloring dark fabric white, but the more opaque they are, the heavier they will be and the more hand they will leave on the fabric. White Dye-Na-Flow is formulated with white pigments, but they are too finely ground to be opaque (White DNF is used for creating pastel colors, not solid white areas). Neopaque is Jacquard's most opaque paint: it has great covering power, but it will leave a heavy hand. Lumiere is also opaque, but it is formulated with mica pigments, so it has a pearlescent effect.

Using Color Removers is the only way to achieve whites on fabrics without changing the hand of the fabric. That's just the way it is.

Color removers remove dye color from fabric. You cannot use a color remover on your yellow shirt and expect it only to affect the blue spot. Nor can you simply over dye your shirt to cover up the spot: again, dyes are transparent, and any earlier color will show through, including spots and stains. I'd recommend completely stripping your shirt of color and then re-dyeing it the yellow that you like. This is the only way you will be able to save the garment... If you do not like the iDye Bright Yellow, you might try Sun Yellow or the yellows from our Procion MX palette: http://www.jacquardproducts.com/procion-mx.html.

Using salt is always a good idea when dyeing cotton or other cellulose fibers. Vinegar, however, is used only for protein fibers (such as silk, wool, etc.) and nylons. If you are working with protein fibers or blended fabrics with nylon or silk in them, it would make sense that vinegar helped you achieve brighter colors. However, if you are working on 100% cotton, vinegar will actually mute your colors...

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Asher
  • Thank you so, so much. :) Happy dancing.

This answers more than just the shirt (and white pigment deposit) questions. I'm able to better layer/blend products on a current "garden benches" project that I'm working on.

I'll try the Procion MX 004 Lemon Yellow on the shirt, that looks super-bright. :-D

When I did this batch of shirts, I normally use only salt on clothing as it is all cotton, until recently, the batch of shirts are all blended materials (cotton, poly and nylon.) . I used multiple iDye packets per dye, in the washing machine. The color was uneven on every single shirt, having extra dark spots on each one of the shirts that were in the washer. I did everything as instructed and as I always have, except, these were all processed using RIT Color Remover (powder), twice, prior to iDye (sitting overnight) then, after the first iDye on the shirts revealed uneven pigment, I combined both salt and vinegar, leading to this post about my yellow shirt issue (solved, thank you very much). I usually do one or two "Pre-Made" clothing-items at a time, in a tub, and believe using iDye Fabric (2 packets) in a "Super Large" washer with 5 shirts & two under-garments must have caused the uneven pigment- or the mixture of RIT/Jacquard? That is when I began using both vinegar and salt which made the color deeper and darker but not even. I have the shirts/garments batch waiting in a bucket until I resume.

With the new information, above, and by researching the shirt manufacture process, understanding that these particular shirts are blended materials and the pigment process is unique, not just cotton & colors, I'll proceed with Jacquard color remover and focus the remover on the uneven splotches, unless you have an idea for evening out shirts blended this way...

I have bathmats consisting of mixed materials (poly, nylon and cotton) and I began with both salt and vinegar on the mats, revealing exactly as you describe, above, the cotton portions are muted somewhat. I stripped and began again, using multiple packets of iDye Poly / vinegar, washed/rinsed, now they are sitting in iDye Fabric / Salt (still waiting on me, sat overnight, last-night.) Perhaps I am about to reveal a solution that I can use in the future, with the mats being processed with poly/vinegar first then fabric/salt as independent processes.

I do, however, still have a wish-list of white dye ! :-D haha !

Maybe there is a deposit method of dying white without a heaviness added, or whitening fabric, such as linen, in the washing machine, without bleach. I'd love nothing more than to wash my whites with a toss-in white solution, added when needed, something without bleach or color removers (because of trim, the trim gets faded instead of vibrant.) The experts at Jacquard have worked on colors for a very long time and I know that the outcome is exactly what you write above, white is water haha. I really want to create super-white & stable cotton products. Maybe one day. I do understand what you're writing, though.

Anyway, Thank you ! I may have solved a few mysteries with your answer. I have the most fun when I'm working with cotton umbrellas, creating unique leather items, wood items are so cool when I finish them, using Jacquard products keeps a spark of creativity flowing.

Have a great day.

David.