NEED HELP W/ Pigment Powder and refinishing furniture!
  • I want to make wall paint pearlescent for some nursery furniture I'm refinishing. I have no clue how to get the best results with the pearl ex pigment powders, to have a pearly white finish, and have a lot of the sheen. What products should I use? The Pearl White? And how many .75 oz bottles should I use for a quart of paint? Instead of paint, should I use it in a top coat instead? I really need to get this done soon because my baby will be on her way soon.

Thank you so much,
    Mary
  • Hi Mary,
    Generally, when adding PearlEx to a pigmented system (to a paint), you want to use about 10% by weight. (That means around a pound of Pearlex for every 10 pounds of paint). However, house paint is not designed for this, and it will be very difficult to get a good luster by adding PearlEx. This is because architectural paints are loaded with pigments that will inhibit the kind of sheen you are looking for. For optimal luster, I would recommend using Lumiere (http://jacquardproducts.com/lumiere.html). Lumiere is a paint formulated with mica pigments exclusively. You can almost think of it as a liquid version of PearlEx. And it is actually for architectural applications and for furniture. If you already have a lot of PearlEx and you are set on using it, I would recommend mixing it into an un-pigmented system like an extender or acrylic gel medium. We have one in the Neopaque line that would be perfect (http://jacquardproducts.com/neopaque.html).
    I hope this is helpful!
    Best,
    Asher
  • Asher,

I went ahead and tried to add a .75 oz jar to half a quart of paint, and no sheen is coming through, but I did add the same amount to a water-based finsh, and the sheen is pretty nice. I think I'll buy another jar to add to the finish. I'm glad I only wasted one jar, it's not cheap! Thanks so much!

Best,
    Mary
  • Hi,
    Does anyone know if these powder pigments can be mixed and used in an airbrush? I have been looking for a pearl or mettalic enamel paint but have had no luck. I need it for carrousel horse painting.
    Thanks for any help you can give me!!
  • Yes, PearlEx will work well in an airbrush! In fact, all of our Metallic and Irridescent Airbrush Colors are formulated with PearlEx pigments. Have you tried those out? You can also just mix the PearlEx into a clear, sprayable medium...
  • Is Pearl Ex powder stable when mixed into solvent based clears like automotive clearcoats ?
  • Hi,

Pearl Ex is stable when mixed into solvent based clears.

annette