Novice working with Black Acid dye.
  • I've dyed some wool before, but it's all been to a solid color. My newest project involves dyeing a skein of knitting yarn four different colors, including black. My biggest fear is that the black will bleed into the other colors and make them splotchy. I'm planning on doing a pattern of black, chartreuse, black, turquoise, black, purple along the length of the yarn and I'd prefer that the colors stay as pure as possible.

Is there a certain procedure or an order that I should apply the dyes in?
    I was thinking of doing the black dyes first, fixing them to the yarn and then rinsing and dyeing the colored section. I don't want any bleeding between the colors if that's at all possible.

If you have any advice, I'd really appreciate it.
  • Your thought to fix the black dye first, rinse and then do your other colors makes a lot of sense. That is a sound method. Another option would be to thicken your dye just a little bit. This will inhibit bleeding and spreading. You won't need much to get your dye to stay where you put it. You just might need to paint it on rather than dipping. You'll want to rinse extra well too (to remove the thickener). I'd recommend using sodium alginate SH if you decide to go this route (http://www.jacquardproducts.com/sodium-alginate.html). Both methods will do the trick; thickening may be more time efficient. Let us know how it goes!