Problem with olive green acid dye
  • Hi!
    I'm looking for some tips as to how to get the olive green jacquard acid dye to work better. With most colors I have no problem, some are a little bit more tricky than others. And then there's the olive green in a whole other category: impossible! :D
    Every time I use it, the end result is very blotchy. It seems that the color breaks down to a brighter green and some yellow tones. Party the colors are together and it is in fact olive green, but about 80% is always very blotchy. I've tried it about 5 times, I'm not quite sure.
    The last time was just a moment ago. I was dyeing corriedale wool, 100g. I left the wool to sit in warm water with 1 teaspoon of citric acid. I mixed the dyes using about 1/4 teaspoon of color + 1/3 teaspoon of citric acid. Then I applied the colors straigh on the roving, wrapped it in the plastic and steamed for about 25 mins. Other colors are great, once again olive green a mess.

Before I have been using vinegar, now I'm starting to use citric acid. Seems to be working better in general, at least for me :) But WHAT am I doing wrong? What's going on? I try to get the heat up gradually, so that shouldn't be it. Too much acid? Too little something?
    I lOVE olive green and would dye just about everything with it, if I could figure out how on earth to make it look smooth and not separated and blotchy :<<br />
    Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!
  • Oh, and the dye lot is 31078, is that helps :)
  • Olive is a blended color, made of several pure colors. The problem you describe is far more common with blended colors than pure colors, as each pure color has its own distinct properties. Olive is especially challenging becasue it is formulated with more pure colors than practically any other color in the palette. Usually, the issue has to do with different solubility porperties: what is most likely happening is that differnt dyes in the blend are coming out of solution at differnt times/rates, leaving different colors on different parts of your fiber. What you'll want to do to address this problem is be very mindful when mixing up your dye bath:
    First of all, the water you disolve your dye powder in should be hot. The hotter it is, the better. I would recommend mixing your dye on the stovetop at high heat and applying the dye directly out of the pot. (For solid colors, use the submersion method, on the stovetop, just below a simmer http://www.jacquardproducts.com/assets/jacquard-site/product-pages/dyes/acid/Acid Dye Instructions.pdf). This will help keep the dyes in solution.
    Secondly, your dye to liquor ratio is very important. You should not use more than 3-4 grams of dye powder per liter of water (and even this is on the high end of optimal). If you add to much dye to your dye bath, the colors will come out of solution more easily, which will lead to blotchy color. In general, the more water you use (in relation to the dye powder) and the hotter your dye bath, the less risk there is of precipitation and blotchy results...
    I hope this helps! Let us know if you continue having these issues...