How to dye/paint polyester
  • What would be the best product to color polyster lace. I have the green label silk dye. Can something be added to the dye so it works on polyester lace or do I need to use a paint. If paint is my only choice, which product would give the look of dye?
    Thank you
  • Dyes for natural fibers, such as Jacquard Green Label Silk Colors, cannot be used on polyester. They are acidified Remazol type fiber reactive dyes, which can be used only on protein-containing fibers, such as silk or wool. (Without the acidification, the same dyes, for example in the form of Jacquard Red Label Silk Colors, can also be used on cellulose fibers such as cotton and linen.)

The only kinds of true dyes that can be used on polyester are disperse dyes, dyes which work only on synthetic fibers. Disperse dyes work best for immersion dyeing when the material is boiled in the dye, on the stovetop. Jacquard Products sells polyester dyes under the name iDye Poly. Another readily-available form of disperse dye is Iron-on Fabric Crayons for Synthetic Fibers; you can buy these in the fabric store (don't confuse them with the wax crayons they closely resemble, which will not work at all), and use them to color onto paper, which you then transfer to polyester or other synthetic material using an iron.

You can use acrylic-based fabric paints, such as Jacquard's Dye-Na-Flow, Lumiere, Neopaque, or Jacquard Textile Colors, on polyester. You cannot use silk dyes on polyester.

Paula
  • I am dyeing a polyester material called MuleTape. MuleTape is a pulling tape, but it's more than just pulling tape. In one product you get "a threading line, a measuring tape, and a winchline", which saves on labor, inventory, and material costs.The construction of this product protects it from heat/friction, preventing breaks when pulling heavy cable. MULETAPE's lubrication protects your conduit/innerduct from duct cutting or burn through. MULETAPE's "low stretch polyester material" distributed tension across is wide, flat profile. I am actually making horse halters out of this material. I resecent purchased 2 packs of IDye Poly to use. But what I'm needing to know is, will 1 packet (Which has 1/2 ounce in it??) do 200ft (How much material it takes for 1 halter) MuleTape??
  • One packet of iDye Poly (containing 14 grams or .5oz of dye powder) is enough dye to color 2 to 3 lbs of fabric. What you will want to do is weigh your MuleTape (yes, all 200 ft) and figure out how much it weighs. That will tell you how many packets of dye you will need to use. An important thing to keep in mind is this: you could dye as much fabric (or MuleTape) as you want with one packet of dye; you just have to remember that the more fabric you use, the more water you'll need, and the paler the resulting color will be. We recommend 2-3 pounds of fabric per packet for bold colors. For lighter colors, you can just add more fabric and more water (or less dye powder), and for darker colors you can just use more dye (or less fabric/water). ...I hope this helps!
  • I have been trying to dye mule tape with some dye called tulip. i boil the dye with the mule tape and it for a 30min to and hour. but the dye don't stay on the mule tape. it be a light color and the need the color to stay dark. how can i make it stay dark?
  • Use iDye Poly!
  • Yes, the Tulip dye is not made for polyester. Even when it says you can dye a 50/50 it is only the 50% cotton part of the shirt that is dyed. We just did an experiment with this. The Polyester shirt was about 50 times darker with Idye poly than the one we tried Tulip on.