garment dye help needed
  • Hi! I have a blue garment, (acrylic fabric), which has some spots, I would like to dye. It is navy blue, and your navy blue is the same as the fabric. How can I do it?
    Please, let me know as soon as possible.
    thanks. S
  • Acrylic can be dyed with our Jacquard Basic Dyes, but these dyes are available only in 1lb quantities which is way more than you need for 1 garment.

You'll want to keep in mind that dyes are transparent, so spotting may still be seen after overdyeing. It might be worth trying a color remover to see if you can remove the base color and the spots before proceeding. Whether or not the color remover will work will depend on the particular colorant used on the fabric.

If the fabric is smooth and tightly woven, you might want to consider painting it with Dye-Na-Flow, which is a heat-set, flowable and transparent fabric paint. It may leave a very slight hand, but on many fabrics it is barely noticeable. It also is transparent so the spotting may still be seen. The paint can be brushed on with a bristled or sponge brush or it can be airbrushed. You'll want to paint quick as you can end up with lines where the dry paint and wet paint come together.

Jenny