*Idye Poly* Soda ash?
  • I am dying a ball gown that is 100% poly... Do I use soda ash? and if so how do I do it? wash it in it and done rinse?

The gown is currently ivory...what is the best way to get a dark black with a hint of green?

My washing machine can get up to 190 degree water...so can I do it in the there?

Thanks! I have dyed before but this is my first time venturing into poly! :)
  • First, you want to make sure that you have purchased iDye Poly Black, item# JID1454. In order to achieve a deep black, the stove top method should be followed with your dyebath at a rolling boil. iDye Poly Black leans toward the green color space, but trying to lower the temperature, concentration or dyeing time could take you completely out of the black realm and into a green. Lastly, the only product that you need to use with iDye Poly is the iDye Poly Intensifier which comes in a separate package included inside the outer package. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jenny
  • Thank you!. ..Ok So I get the dress wet before hand right?

If I just let it simmer instead of boil will I get a dark green with the IDye poly black? (I purchased several of the black and it should arrive in the mail today!)
  • You're welcome and you are more than welcome to adjust the dyeing factors, but the results become much more unpredictable. We can't say whether it'll be a dark green like forest green, or a drab green like olive. You'll just have to do some experimenting (if you want to) and see what you come out with. If it doesn't dye to your liking, then you can always redye at full strength, time and temperature to achieve a deep, dark black.

Jenny
  • Ok! Wish me luck! :) I will try and post the results once I am done later tonight!
  • Good luck!
  • iDye Poly, My Experience

A friend wanted something made with black lace, but Joanns didn't have much of a selection. I found some great lace, but it was white. What to do, what to do? I went to the fabric marker/paint section and actually found "over the counter" dye for polyester! Which was what the lace I found was made of. So, eagerly I bought 2 packs. One for practice and one for actual dyeing.

Once I got a pot big enough for the task from the thrift store (enamel, with a lid) I set to work. In the iDye pack there is the colorant and a small package of clear goo that you put into the mix. I got my lace all cut off the batch and some skewers to swish it around with, since I somehow lost my wooden dyeing spoon from my last foray into fabric dyeing. The mix was heating up and I tossed in the lace. The instructions say to simmer the concotion, so I cranked up the heat to about medium high and waited.

As soon as it started heating up the stench of the hot dye was incredible. It was like burned rubber, but boiling burned rubber. It was so overpowering! I ran to open windows and turn on fans, and then back to the pot of dye to see if it was simmering yet. Not yet, so I stirred and tried not to inhale too many of the fumes. I was gagging by then, and usually smells don't really get to me enough that I get all queasy. I ran, again, but this time to find my face mask that I use when I use my dremel, or for drilling type projects. It isn't the cheapest, but it isn't like a gas mask either. Just a surgical type mask with a little filter on the front. Thankfully it helped, but the damage was done, in more ways than one.

After running back from digging through things for the mask, I came back to find the pot angrily simmering away, on the point of boiling. I slapped the lid on (which I hadn't done before then) and stirred a little but upon closer inspection I realized that a fine mist had formed from the boiling/simmer and there were tiny blue dots all over my kitchen. Even across the kitchen! I can only imagine how much of that I inhaled before putting the mask on, which I didn't do until after I scrubbed at the counter tops to see if it would come off. For days afterwards my lungs hurt. I don't think there were any lasting effects, but it was a little scary.

Despite the mask, the smell was just too much. The instructions say to simmer it for 1/2 hour to 1 hour, but after about 25 minutes I had to stop that smell. So, I pulled everything out early, rinsed both pot and lid and lace and then spent the next hour using oxy clean and a scrubbie to get the blue mist off my counters, appliances and sink. I am still finding spots with blue mist all over it, where I didn't see it at first.

But, the lace came out great even though I pulled it out early! There is a faint green tinge to it in places, but for my first experiment with it, I'm happy with the product. At least in terms of how well it works. The stink on the other hand, really turns me off.
  • Wow your washing machine gets upto 190 can you or anyyone reading this comment tell me which washing machine that is as I want one!! They are rare these days