Trouble with IPoly on 100% Polyester
  • I have a formal dress that is 100% ploy and washable, not drycleanable. I tried dyeing it with 2 i-Poly red packets on the stove and left it dye all night long in the solution. I then shut it off and let it cool down before removing the dress. I then rinsed it out with a 50/50 water vinegar solution and 90% of the color rinsed out. This is the 2nd time I tried dyeing this dress, and both times the color washed out. I dont know what else to do. I need to dye this dress for my bridesmaid as she can not afford to purchase another dress in the color I need it to be. Does any one have any suggestions? I have been told to paint the dress like the pageants do but I worry that that will look "painted" and be stiff. PLEASE HELP!!!!
  • If you had the dress at a simmer for up to an hour, used the iDye Poly Intensifier and the color washed out, then it sounds like either the dress is not polyester, the particular type of polyester used to make the dress isn't dyeable or there is some sort of coating on the fabric that is preventing dye absorption.

If we go with the assumption that the problem is not a coating issue, then you could try using Dye-Na-Flow to paint it. Dye-Na-Flow is a flowable and transparent fabric paint that is heat set with an iron. Because it is flowable, it leaves less of a hand than thicker fabric paints. You would have to do some testing to determine if you find the results satisfactory for this particular application.

However, if the fabric is treated with some sort of coating, this could prevent fixation of the paint too.

Jenny