Arte Colores
  • I have some old bottles of Arte Colores dyes. I believe these were originally created by Jacquard. I would like to use them to dye cotton yarn. It says on the bottle that they can be used to dye cotton fabric, so I would think I could use them for yarn, too. I just need some information about the best method to use. Should I hand paint the yarn, or can I soak the yarn in a diluted mixture? The directions on the bottle say to iron the fabric to heat set. Is there another method I can use?

Thanks for your help!
  • We actually never produced a product called Arte Colores, but if my memory serves correctly there was an artist out there doing some of her own relabeling of our Green Label Silk Colors. Please visit our website for product information. You'll see that they are for use for hand painting silk and wool and can be set with either the Jacquard Permanent Dyeset Concentrate or by steam setting. Since they are acidified, they should NOT be used on cellulose fibers. I'd also recommend doing some testing before using them as the jars are quite old. If you are interested in painting on cellulose fibers and don't mind steam setting, then you should check out Jacquard Concentrated Vinyl Sulphon Dyes. Otherwise, you could also use the Procion MX dyes and batch or steam set them.

Jenny
  • You are right. Looking more closely to the label on the bottle, I see I bought these dyes from Enviropapers. And I remember the owner saying they were Jacquard dyes that she had put her label on.

I don't know if Green Label Silk Colors is the right match, though, because the label says the dyes are for cotton, muslin, and linen. Silk isn't mentioned. Could it be that this dye is more watered down than the Jacquard version, making it ok for a less dense fabric like cotton or muslin?

Thanks for your help!
  • Watering Green Label Silk Colors down wouldn't change the type of fiber it would work on. It would only lower the concentration of the color. It could have, instead, been one of our paints. Dye-Na-Flow, which is heat set with an iron, is a flowable and transparent fabric paint. Instructions for using it can be found on our website.

Unfortunately, it is impossible for you to know exactly which product it is and if it was altered before it was relabeled and resold. So, you'll just want to do some small scale testing before beginning a large project.

Jenny
  • The more I'm researching, the more I think you are right...that Arte Colores is a pigment/fabric paint rather than a true dye. What I've read meshes with what I remember when I used these pigments in projects years ago.

One person recommended using a product like Jacquard's Airfix to set the colors since ironing isn't possible. Is this something you think would work on yarn?

I know that the only thing we can do is guess. I was able to get some yarn very inexpensively and plan on doing a lot of tests on short pieces before dying a full skein.

Thanks for your help!
  • Yes, the Jacquard Airfix or Versatex Fixer can be added to our waterbased paints when heat setting is not possible or inconvenient. Once it is mixed with the paint, then it should be used within 4-6 hours, so you'll only want to mix what you can use in that time. It will then need to be cured for a few days before being washed.

Jenny