Color losing brightness after wash
  • Im having trouble with some of the darker procion mx dyes like Jet Black, Choc Brown, Cobalt Blue, etc. losing their color after I rinse and wash them. For example, the Jet Black came out as a Grey... Any ideas on what I might be doin wrong?

Thank ya!!
  • For darker dye colors, you'll need higher concentrations of dye and/or higher water temperatures. If you want to post your process including all the details (dye method, dye concentration, substrate, amount of soda ash, etc), I'd be happy to troubleshoot further.

Jenny
  • It is always a good rule to double the amount of mfg suggested dye per 80z of water. Especially with dark colors, and more so with black.

Black, I have found, is the hardest to get 'true color'. Sometimes, I find using 4x the suggested amount of black to avoid a 'charcoal grey' result.

Regarding the use of hot water, if your water heater is not heating over 140', (and probably not since that is TOO HOT for home/personal use), you may find boiling water and then placing it in washer could help.

A bit of a hassle I know. Or, depending on your 'studio' or workspace, fill a tub/basin with stove-top boiling water and let fabric sit for 15minutes, then wash in washer...another hassle, but darks are hard to work with with. You need to work with it. :)