• Does anyone know how to or what colors to mix to get a peacock blue?
  • The problem is that color is subjective so peacock blue can mean many different things to many different people. In addition, the colors in each dye line vary and every fiber takes dye differently.

Its really just necessary to do a lot of testing with the appropriate dye line and the type of fiber that you are trying to dye. You'll have to keep your measurements exact and your formulas documented so that you can recreate the color.

Jenny
  • DO you suggest using blue with green dye? Or Blue with purple?
  • If you're interpretation of peacock blue is somewhat of a turquoise/teal color then experimenting with mixing blue and green would be the place to start. If you're interpretation of peacock blue is more of a purple-ish color, then you would want to start with blue and red.

Jenny
  • thank you for your help!

I have an 80% cotton / 20% nylon mini-vest I want to dye. Can I use the idye for natural fabrics?
  • The iDye for Natural fibers will only dye the cotton portion. You'll need iDye Poly to dye the nylon portion. A packet of each can be added to the same dyebath. However, if you're trying to make a peacock blue, then you're having to do the testing mixing the iDye natural colors together and the do testing mixing the iDye Poly colors together. You'll have to see if you can get both mixtures to match each other, which is probably going to be difficult.

Jenny
  • ok, one more ques and then I'm just going for it:

I have a blue for natural fabric and a green for Poly fabric - what do you think?
  • The problem is that the 2 colors really don't mix together. The natural fiber dye only hits the natural fiber (meaning white cotton will turn blue) while iDye Poly dye only hits the nylon (meaning white nylon becomes green). It might look a different color in the dyebath, but once its washed, the poly dye will wash off the cotton and visa versa. How it ends up looking depends on how the fiber/fabric was constructed (cotton and nylon thread twisted together or a whole panel of the vest being one type of fiber).

Jenny