Pregnancy and Dyeing
  • :confused: :eek:

Hi guys! I have started an Etsy business recently with tie-dyed onesies and jewelry for moms. My husband and I are considering getting pregnant, and I am really concerned about the safety of the products I am using.

I use:
    Procion MX dyes
    Urea
    Synthropol
    Water Softener
    Soda Ash Fixer

I wear gloves, a dust mask and goggles...but in reading safety info, it looks like I should be purchasing a respirator!

Should I stop the dyeing all together during pregnancy?

This is so sad! :(

a
    www.weehippies.com
  • Its really something that you need to discuss with your doctor. Regardless of what the doctor would say, most women at Jacquard would refrain from all dyes, chemicals, paints etc. while they were pregnant even if the risk was minimal.

Jenny
  • I appreciate your response, and better get dyeing before that time comes! :)
  • If you're giving up all dyeing because it's too dangerous in pregnancy, then you'd better give up all housework, too. Dishwasher detergents and toilet cleaners are more likely to be dangerous in pregnancy than carefully used fiber reactive dyes. Soda ash is already in your regular laundry detergent!

Of course you need to wear good gloves and all of that, and don't carelessly get the dyes all over yourself. Don't ever breath dye powder. Basic sensible rules are all you need. Also, avoid the more toxic dyes: never use naphthol dyes in pregnancy - but nobody I know in the US or Europe would ever use naphthol dyes even when not pregnant.

See also:
    Is it safe to dye clothes with Procion MX type dyes during pregnancy?
    Is it safe to eat or breathe fiber reactive dyes?

-Paula