Removing Formaldehyde resin / sizing
  • Does anyone know how to remove formaldehyde resin / sizing from fabric?

I have a new, no-iron dress shirt. It was washed in hot water and dyed with 2 oz. (3 bottles) of Procion MX dye (Burgundy) using Method 1. I was going for deep dark saturation so I soaked / stirred the shirt for 3 hours. When removed it was very uneven with distinct geometric regions of saturation. I am assuming this is a function of the sizing as I also dyed a tie in the same bath and it came out completely uniform.

Formaldehyde resin (HCHO) is used to align the fibers and to make it 'no iron'. The resin does not appear to be water soluble. So the question is, should I be looking at enzymatic, oxidative or acid to de-size the fabric?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,

Hugh
  • I've seen a recipe for removing a permanent-press finish, but it calls for 30% strength hydrochloric acid, which is appropriate only for those with experience and training in laboratory safety.

It's better to buy PFD clothing (marketed by the manufacturer as Prepared For Dyeing). If the garment you want is not commercially available ready-to-dye, then you can get a tailor to copy your shirt using PFD fabric, or using fabric already dyed to the color you want.

Paula
  • pburch said:
    I've seen a recipe for removing a permanent-press finish, but it calls for 30% strength hydrochloric acid, which is appropriate only for those with experience and training in laboratory safety.

Not sure there would be much cloth left after that bath.

It's better to buy PFD clothing (marketed by the manufacturer as Prepared For Dyeing). If the garment you want is not commercially available ready-to-dye, then you can get a tailor to copy your shirt using PFD fabric, or using fabric already dyed to the color you want.

Paula

Good tip Paula, thanks. I was thinking $34 shirt + $10 dye + $3 buttons trumps $250 custom tailored dress shirt. New math getting me in trouble again.

Hugh