Painting on polyester fabric
  • Hello, I am working on a project that involves painting on polyester fabric that is coated on one side with polyurethane. This is fabric used for cloth diaper covers and it will need to withstand repeated washing. I cannot heat set the paint using an iron, but I can put the fabric in a home dryer on hot.
    I have been using Tulip Soft fabric paint. It adheres pretty well but does fade to several shades lighter after several washings. I'm concerned that it will not be of acceptable quality over time. I need something that can withstand repeated washing on hot and drying in a dryer. I'm trying to figure out whether the J. Textile Paint will be any better for my purpose. I'd also like to know if the Airfix will eliminate the need to heat set and/or how it will affect the paint for repeated washing.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Hi,

Our Textile Colors are pretty durable. However, you are asking a painted item to go through a pretty rigorous regime of washing and abuse. I would recommend doing a test on the product before commencing with production.

The airfix helps the paint to adhere to the surface without direct heat. The paint should more or less perform similarly to paint that has been heat set when washed.

You can fix the textile colors in the dryer with or without airfix.

Celia