dying fur and feathers
  • :) Hello to all Although I have tied flies for nearly 40years I have never tried dying my own materials I now would like to try ,so any pointers would be verry very helpful,sorry if this has been asked before,thanking you in advance.Fly tier
  • Hi there!

The first place you'll want to visit is the Jacquard Acid Dye page. This will be the dye you'll want to use for dyeing feathers. The process is pretty simple, although you may experience a little learning curve with some colors and some feathers as different colors will react differently to different types of feathers.

anet
  • fly tier said:
    :) Hello to all Although I have tied flies for nearly 40years I have never tried dying my own materials I now would like to try ,so any pointers would be berry very helpful,sorry if this has been asked before,thanking you in advance.Fly tier

visit this thread..you can find useful tips on dying..Just like what anet suggested.
  • I just bought AK Best's book Dyeing and Bleaching Natural Fly Tying Materials. Second Edition is in color. It can be had for less than $10.00 and is well worth the buy. Even though he uses RIT dyes, all the research I've done suggests that Jacquards provides more consistent colors. But the process of degreasing, cleaning, etc is worth the book itself. He also provides some 'color recipes' that we use (slate gray, light dun, medium dun, etc) in fly tying.