best fabric for painting with jacquard
  • hi there, i am just starting a project , got the transparent paints and need advise/recommendation on what cotton fabric to buy for best result! I would get the fabric on a bolt if possible, suggesttions on where to get it is most appreciated.
    What I know is too general, that I should go for pdf, high thread count, bleached and 100% cotton. When I search on the internet the million of cotton fabric makes me feel undecided. I would love to hear from you and your experience with jacquard on fabric.

thanks in advance
    chelsea
  • I just asked the same question, did not see yours. I read that Kona cotton is considered very good since it has a high thread count. It costs more than $4 a yard. I am concerned about whether or not the fabric would shrink after painting. Of course, I will wash it prior to painting. I will be using the textile paints, not dye. I have never done this before. A book I have by Sherrill Kahn says she uses quilter's muslin, but muslin is "loosely woven" which means the paint does not adhere as well, I think. Not sure.
  • chelsea said:
    hi there, i am just starting a project , got the transparent paints and need advise/recommendation on what cotton fabric to buy for best result! I would get the fabric on a bolt if possible, suggesttions on where to get it is most appreciated.
    What I know is too general, that I should go for pdf, high thread count, bleached and 100% cotton. When I search on the internet the million of cotton fabric makes me feel undecided. I would love to hear from you and your experience with jacquard on fabric.

thanks in advance
    chelsea

basing on your given choices above, I prefer to use cotton sateen for jacquard painting..
  • There are many types and qualities of muslin. Not all muslin is the loosely woven kind. Expect to pay more for good quality that you want to last. Jo Ann carries a good line of bleached and unbleached muslin suitable for Jacquard products. Visit the store and just check out the muslin in stock is the best bet.