help
  • I am about to dye a 100% polyester muscle man suit, but first of all I have to take the existing dye out as it is actually coloured light brown. My question is, once I take whatever dye out that is there, do I have to add salt or vinegar to the water while dyeing the garment again, as this is the first time that I am actually going to dye anything.
  • Removing the color of the original dye is not always possible. Do not use bleach, as it will permanently damage polyester. Jacquard Color Remover works better than bleach, without damaging the fiber as bleach does, but even it may or may not work to remove the color, depending on what dye the manufacturer chose for the original color. You won't know whether it's even possible until you try it. Color Remover works best when the fabric is heated in it, on the stovetop.

Dyeing polyester can be done with iDye poly and other disperse dyes for polyester. Other types of dye such as all-purpose dye will not work at all. When using any dye, follow the manufacturers' instructions closely. Do not add salt or vinegar unless the instructions tell you to! Some dyes don't need salt or vinegar; some dyes will actually work much worse if vinegar is added. What you really need for good results in dyeing polyester is an extremely large cooking pot, one which you do not plan to reuse for food ever again. The pot must be large enough for the costume to move freely in it, so that you can stir frequently, as otherwise you will get uneven splotches. You cannot dye polyester at room temperature.

If your costume contains spandex, don't even try to dye it. The heat required to dye polyester will destroy the stretch fiber. In that case, avoid dye altogether and use fabric paint instead. Dye-Na-Flow is a very thin fabric paint, so it acts more like a dye than other paints do. If you need to cover up another color, though, it's better to use an opaque fabric paint such as Neopaque.

Paula