UV Tie Dying Silk
  • I have been searching around for the best type of dye (and method) to use to Tie dye silk dancing flags that have super bright colors that react to blacklight.

I've been seeing mixed answers, Some say use fiber reactive dyes, others say use Acid dye, but then I can't find any mention of How to use the acid dye.

Really hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.
    Much appreciated
  • With silk you can use either the Procion MX using the method described at a number of sites using vinegar and heat - folks often use a microwave. There are specific instructions for this method at Dharma Trading's site. This method is also successful with Acid Dyes. As is pointed out at the instructions on Dharma's site, you'll want to be very careful of the steam generated during the heating process.
    anet
  • Kutulu said:
    I have been searching around for the best type of dye (and method) to use to Tie dye silk dancing flags that have super bright colors that react to blacklight.
    Only a fluorescent dye will respond to the ultraviolet light from a blacklight. What happens is that the invisible ultraviolet light is absorbed by a fluorescent dye and reemitted as visible light. Most dyes are not true fluorescent dyes and will not "pop" under blacklight.

Since this is the Jacquard site, let me point out that Jacquard sells one true fluorescent acid dye, Rhodamine B, as their 620 Hot Fuchsia, and they also sell true fluorescent fabric paints in a wide range of colors. Their iDye direct dyes for cotton include a fluorescent yellow. None of their fiber reactive dyes are fluorescent.

Most laundry detergents contain fluorescent brighteners that will make undyed white fabric fluoresce brightly under black light.

Paula