which paint to use to achieve specific goal
  • Hello,

I have been reading through these threads and have learned a lot about the qualifies of the paints, but I figure the best thing would be to pose my specific goal (and whether these products are ideal).

I am looking to paint on t shirts and achieve a screen print quality (even layers of paint with no brushstroke marks) -- the only difference is I am looking for the paint to set into the fabric like a dye, as opposed to being a layer on the surface. Ideally, I want there to be no texture change of the t shirt fabric. Like a stain. Transparency is ok.

This leads me to think that I should use the Dye-Na-Flow with the No Flow additive, but I am concerned because I saw some samples of people's work with Dye-Na-Flow and you could really see the brushstrokes. I realize that this is partially a matter of skill, but it led me to question the use of Dye-Na-Flow. Is it possible to layer with Dye-Na-Flow to get even results?

Also, is there still a danger of the paint leeching out if enough No Flow isn't used?

Would anyone recommend one of the other fabric paints instead, in light of my intentions? How thick do the others feel on top of fabrics?

Many thanks!
    LadyJane
  • I have found that using the 'Textile Colour' range but slightly diluted with water works well. There doesn't seem to be any change in the feel of the fabric and I don't see brush strokes.

HTH :)
  • Don't use No Flow with a fabric paint such as Dye-Na-Flow unless Jacquard Products specifically recommends it somewhere. If you want a fabric paint that's thicker than Dye-Na-Flow, use one that's already thicker, instead of messing with the ingredients. No Flow is intended for use with dyes, not paints, and it should be painted on the fabric, not mixed with the color.

A good alternative is to buy Procion MX dye, soda ash, urea, and sodium alginate. You can thicken dye with sodium alginate so that it feels like paint as you apply it, but the results will leave no roughness on the fabric at all, and will resist wear better than any paint.

Whatever you do, please use some extra fabric to test your techniques until you feel that you know exactly how to get the effect you want. Only then should you start painting on the project itself.

Paula