rusting fabric
  • Hi I am new to this forum, and am excited to find Jacquard chat site. I want to learn more about rusting fabric- thanks!
  • Hi Mary,

I work here at Jacquard---I've never done anything like that but I'll check in with folks around here and see what I can find out.

Noelle
  • Hi,

I know of a technique to make rusted paper and to patina metals. Not sure if it is the same for fabric. Here it is anyway perhaps you can try it and see if it works. The only draw back I can see on fabric would be the bleach will eat holes in the fabric. Use the proper precautions when using these material and use in a well ventilated room.

Mix two parts hydrogen peroxide bleach to one part vinegar in a plastic spray bottle. On top of a plastic sheet lay a piece of pale colored or white paper. Spray it with the mixture until damp. Layer the pieces of thin flat tin or iron on top of the paper and then spray them with the mixture. The pieces can be partially rusted already if you wish. Spray the whole thing again with the mixture and place another sheet of paper on top. You can layer as many sheets as you wish following the same instructions. Then place a board or heavy object on top of the last sheet to weigh it down. After a few days the rust should have transferred to the paper.

Good luck! :D
    Celia
  • Hi Mary, I haven't done it, but have seen it done two different ways. You can rust fabric by placing an iron object on a natural fabric, spraying the object and fabric with either a mixture of salt and water or white vinegar, covering with plastic and letting it sit for about a week. You might need to periodically re-spray to keep everything continually wet. Good Luck!
  • I just got done doing this last week. It really depends on the type of fabric used. I had 100% silk scarves & a 100%cotton nightie. Using rusty cake pans & steel wool pads I wet the fabric w/vinegar & wrapped the fabric around a steel wool pad & set one on top. The silk exposed to the air & that dried out turned black, I turned it often. I rinsed out the first silk piece & washed w/mild soap. As it dried the darkest rust colors started getting holes. I have since found out that it needed to sit for a few minutes in water & baking soda. The cotton faired well no holes & it was left out for almost 4 days. It does start to dry out & needed more vinegar. It does still have a metallic smell & I need to wash it properly in the washer, hopefully the colors will stay.

Hope that helps.
    Hockey Kitten
  • i recently dyed some raw silk fabric on some rusty corrugated roofing using a soulution of 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water, covered it loosely and let sit for 24 hours in a greenhouse, as it was late fall and works better warm and shouldn't be done without very good ventilation. i then rinsed it well in synthrapol detergent and made a quilt with the fabric. Belle Armoire mag sep/oct 2007 and Clothpaperscissors mag nov/dec 2007 have good articles on the subject. im waiting for nice weather to do more of it.