Watercolour Silk Screening - Dyes?
  • Hi there,
    I was introduced to the technique of watercolour silk-screening last year, and wanted to take it up on my own at home.
    Unfortunatley the dyes that we used in my art program have been discontinued. I'm wondering if Jaquard's Green Label silk dyes (http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/dyes/silkcolors/) would be a suitable substitute?

Basically - I'm looking for the product that will both give me good results, and be as environmentally/health safe as possible.
  • Hi there,

The Jacquard Green Label silk dyes are designed specifically for use as a silk painting medium. These can be set with either the JAC 762, Permanent Dyeset Concentrate or with steam in a steam chamber such as the stove top steamer. The Jacquard Red Label silk dyes are another alternative, they are more concentrated and designed to be set with steam only.

anet
  • .. sorry, i'm not familiar with silk painting, so i'm sorry if this clarification seems redundant -

i'm silk-SCREENING, so, pressing the dyes, along with wallpaper paste, through a silk screen onto paper. i don't want to dye the screen directly ...does that make sense?

do these dyes have to be heat-set or can i use them to silk screen and they'll dry on the paper?
  • !My apologies! I didn't read your post clearly.
    For silk screening, the paints you'll find work best are the Jacquard Professional Screen Inks or the Versatex Screen Inks. These are water based silk screening inks. We've found that the Professional Screen Inks work best for papers.
    It does look as though you are using a bit of a different method with the wall paper paste so if you can tell me a bit about the dye/paint you used in you class perhaps I can direct you to a substitute which will allow you to replicate your method. It was liquid or powder? Very light bodied or heavier bodied (less or more viscous)? Transparent/translucent?

anet
  • No worries! :) though I definently need dyes & not inks - the method is called "watercolour silk screening" because the results are far more like a watercolour painting than a traditional silk screened image. They are monoprints, and the image has the fluidity and translucency of watercolours, but it of course far more vibrant/'psychedelic' because the dyes are far more vibrant than watercolour paint.

you "paint" the image directly onto the silkscreen with the dyes. Once the image has dried on the screen, you squeegee it through to the paper using wallpaper paste. After, the image dries on its own, and you should be able to wash the screen of dye using just soap & water.

the dyes we used in class were by createx. they were in liquid form, not viscous but very concentrated in colour and fairly translucent.
  • aha! this sound like a fascinating technique. We'd love to see some of your work - I encourage you to post some pieces!

So now that I think:o I'm understanding the method better I'm going to go back to my original suggestion of either the Green or Red Label silk dyes. The Red Label is more concentrated, but it might be worth your while to check out the Green Label as they come in smaller containers (not being sure how much dye you use for each piece). Also, keep in mind that these would not be wash/water fast so if there is the possiblility that the final piece is going to wetted after completion they aren't going to work.
    The Dye-Na-Flow paints are worth considering as well. Though they are a paint rather than a dye they are very flowable and (I think) will pass through the screen in the manner you've described. They have the benefit of being fixable with an iron which would give you a wash/water fast piece.
    One final caveat - because this a method I've no experience with (ditto the other folks in the office who might know) you'll probably want to make only a small investment in the dye or paint you choose and make some test runs.
    I look forward to hearing what your results are, and again, we'd love to see some of this work!
    anet
  • Thank you Anet!

I'll try a small amount of the green label and let you know how it goes :)
    (though it may be a while with shipping, etc.)
  • great! I look forward to hearing about/seeing your results.

and one more thing, I did a little search on the Createx dye and found a discussion at Paula Burch's site that might be helpful.
    http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/dyelog/B1063361308/C1134262190/E20060118090551/

Best!
    anet