how can i make my dyes more "flowy"
  • I followed the jacquard instructions for painting on wet fabric which recommended that i use the thickener recipe with the dyes, however, the mixture was too thick and just sat on the fabric. I am attempting to "paint" on 100% cotton, ribbed tank tops with the procion mx dyes in a squeeze bottle. I would like the dyes to flow together once I've squirted them on but retain their deep color. Thank you in advance for any replies. What a wonderful forum!
  • How much detail do you want to have? Or do you want a very 'watercolor' effect?
  • I would like to have a very watercolor effect. Thanks.
  • I would not use any thickener with squirt bottles or watercolor effects. I use thickener when I want to paint with detail. Otherwise it's not really necessary, especially if you want color to flow and spread.
  • In addition to what Monrea wrote...Be sure to follow the pre-soak method---soak in soda ash for about 20 minutes, then 'paint' with your dyes. Set colors with batch method or steam them. I think it's easiest just to batch it---put the shirt in a plastic bag and set in a warm place for 24 hours, then do your rinse out. Basically what you're doing is tye-dye without the tying:)
  • Hi,

Below is a suggested recipe for chemical water used when painting with Procion MX dyes on silk. Presoak soda ash method should be really be used with cellulous fibers only. If you are using silk and you are steaming the fabric the recipe below for paint with MX dyes won't damage the fibers.

Chemical water for painting onto silk and wool using MX dyes and Citric Acid. Acetic acid = white vinegar can be substituted (add 4 table spoons to the mixture)

Acid based Chemical water

¾ cup (188 ml) warm 120oF(49oC) water, 5 tsp (20 gm) Urea, 1 tsp (6 gm) Citric Acid Crystals, ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) Synthrapol, add water to equal one cup (250 ml).

Add 1/2 teaspoon to 4 teaspoons of dye depending on desired shade to the chemical water. Black may require up to 8 teaspoons. Add sodium alginate to this mixture to thicken it if desired.

Add 1/2 teaspoon per 250ml of dye of Ludigol to Procion MX dye when steam-setting for brighter more vibrant color results. Especially good with turquoise!

Celia
  • Gee..thanks everybody for the help. I'll let you know how everything turns out!