New menber
  • Hello everybody...Today I bought my first Tie Dye kit. (I just love these shirts and colors). I just got done watching the dvd that came with the kit and started scanning through this forum and found even more tips !!! I will try this in the next week and have a few questions. First, I bought Fruit of the Loom Tee's (100% cotten ). Are these shirts ok ? Second, should I do all 9 at once or only a couple at first ? Thanks for your help and time, and I will be talking to you all very soon !!!!
  • Hey Jim,

Your tee shirts should be just fine - do check to be sure they haven't been treated with a 'stain guard' type product as that would inhibit the uptake of the dye. You'll want to prewash the shirts as well - sizings can also affect the results.
    As for jumping in with both feet or sticking in just a toe...speaking from personal experience, I'd say if you are able to set things up so you can dye a couple of days in a row (or within ten to 14 days of mixing the dye powders) it would be in your best interests to do a practice run with a couple of tees. This will give you an idea of just how much 'resistance' the folds and ties create to the dye. (it took me several shirts before i was able to create a design that had more color than white!)
    One more note - once mixed with water the dye should be kept in a cool (out of reach of children and pets) environment and used within ten to 14 days. The soda ash can be stored indefinitely - again out of reach of short people and pets.
    anet
  • Hi Anet...Thanks for the tips. I meant to ask about that prewash. Thank you for mentioning it. I also went out today and bought a smaller kit (5 shirts compared to 15) so I wouldn't have a large amount of dye mixed up. Keep your fingers crossed, I'll give it a try in a couple of days and let you know how things turn out !!! Thank You again.
  • Jim,

I look forward to hearing how it goes for you - pics too, if you can!

anet