curing Screen Printing Ink on metal ?
  • Hi,

I just started a project screen printing to an aluminum surface. I'm using Jacquard Screen Printing Ink and wanted to know if there's anything I need to do to cure the ink once it's applied ?

Thanks
    Don
  • Hi,

Time and or heat will cure the inks.

If you have a heat gun try some tests with that. Be careful not to melt the ink with the gun by going too close.

The professional inks have a 'multipurpose polymer" that is a bit harder allowing it to bond and cure on nonporous surfaces. There are acrylic additives out there such as GAC 200 (made by Golden Artist Colors) that will toughen it up further but I don't think you'll need that. Our tests on Plexiglas were very encouraging and it yielded excellent scratch resistance.

Celia
  • Thank you Celia,

The pieces I have are small swivel style caps for USB flash drives that I could remove and bake. I read another post that suggested baking glass at 250F for 2 minutes ... so, I tried that for my metal pieces and it seemed to work pretty good.

Here's the end result : http://www.fixedit.com/screenshots/portable-inhand2-800x546.JPG
  • I just started using the professional inks on powder coated metal panels. The ink is giving me a terrific print, but I have found that after air-drying for about 8 hours and also applying a heat gun to the print, it is very easily scratched off with a gentle scrape of my nail.

I know this might not be fixable, but I have other silk screened panels here also done on powder coated metal that are very difficult to scratch off at all.

Any suggestions fo rthis problem, or do I need a tougher paint for this use?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Hi Don,

I spoke with our screen ink expert and he tells me that what you are probably running into is a problem with the plastisizer/softener in the powder coating which migrates to the top of the finish. This will interfer with the bonding of the Screen Ink to the substrate. You may be able to deal with this by carefully cleaning the surface before applying the Screen Ink, but there is also the possibliliy that you may not be able to remove the plastisizer well enough to allow the bond.

anet