Tye-Dying of Sweatshirts
  • Hi, everyone!

I've never tried this, but I wonder if any of you folks have tye-dyed a sweatshirt? There would have to be some sort of special arrangements made for the longs sleeves, but other than that, would the fabric be too thick? Any ideas would be so very appreciated!
    Barb from Snowy Cleveland OH
  • Hi,
    You should be able to dye this successfuly without too many problems. Presoak the shirt in a soda-ash and water solution and make sure it has thoroughly penetrated the fabric. You may need to use more dye as the fabric weight will be greater than an average Teeshirt.
    Celia
  • Hmmm, I'll have to try that. :) I did a fairly heavyweight bath towel once and it took LOTS of dye and patience to make sure I'd gotten dye into all the nooks and crannies, but it came out pretty nicely.

Might also depend on how you're tying it. I managed a decent double spiral on the towel, meaning I folded it in half and then did a spiral tie with 3 HUGE HEAVY rubber bands, but when I tie-dyed a bathmat (thinner towel) and did it just in bands crosswise, it was much easier to work the fabric.
  • Ok i've done some sweatshirts... they have all turned out awesome! The greatest bit of advice i can give you is to just go wild- but to start off i suggest sticking to a colour scheme, untill you get the hang of it at least. i can send you pictures of sweatshirts i've done if you want...
  • yes, yes, pictures please!
    anet