Quilting over fabric paints.
  • Hi. I have been using Dye Na flow to create fabric pictures. The Dye Na Flow is very soft and I have been stitching over the paint with my sewing machine. But I am now able to do small details without the paint spreading. Would a water based resist help? Or would the textile paint be soft enough to stitch over. Thanks, Gay
  • Using a water based resist depends on what type of fabric you are using. The resist works well on silk but not so well on other fabrics. The Jaquard Textile paints are a soft flexible paint and are easy to sew over. Try using a little paint with the dye-na-flow and see how that works.
    Happy stitching, Carolyn
  • Thanks, Jaquard textile paint is exactly what I have been using lately, so I'll see how it goes when I go to stitch over it. I'll have to try mixing it with the dyna flow paint. My favorite medium is watercolor pencils on the fabric. This works great on white fabric. After floating and mixing beautiful color i can come back over it with the regular Prismacolor pencils to add detail and shading. Then I can come back again with stitching. It's not quite the same look as opaque paints. But anything with alot of water will bleed over into other areas of the design, making it more difficult with small detailed designs. But it's good with larger areas. But it's all play and I love it. Thanks again, Gay
  • Hi,
    You could also thicken the paint with our No Flow. This is designed to wash out leaving the fabric soft again. The No flow will thicken the paint and prevent bleeding.
    Celia
  • I haven't heard of No Flow. Is it a Jaquard product? Thanks, Gay
  • Isn't the no flow just able to work with dyes?? If used with paints the paints are not permanent when washed. Or does Jacquard now have a no flow for paints. I sure wish they did!! There is another brand that has no flow just for paints. I have also found a certain type of fabric that the dye-na-flow works well on.
    Happy painting, Carolyn
  • Hi,
    Yes No Flow is a Jacquard product. Here is a link to the page.
    http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/chemicals/noflow.php
    Celia
  • Hi,
    No flow will work with either dyes or paints. Follow the paint's setting instructions before washing the No-Flow out of the fabric. Here is a link to the page. http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/chemicals/noflow.php
    Celia
  • Sorry,
    I should also say that the No Flow can be applied to the fabric as a primmer and or mixed with the paint to thicken it.
    Celia
  • I am going to have to try this!!! I had a friend that brushed it on the fabric, used dye-na-flow, heat set it then washed it and the paint washed out.
    I had been curious about it and sent an email to Jacquard asking questions about the no flow and was told that it was just for using with dyes. It would coat the fiber and the dye-na-flow would not pass through the coating, get to the fiber and would come off when washed so I didn't investigate the product any further.
    It would really solve a lot of my frustration if it did work with dye-na-flow!!! I have been looking for a way to have more control with dye-na-flow. I started with oil paints 37 years ago, am now a decorative painter using thick bodied acrylics. At least I was until I met Jacquard dye-na-flow and textile paints. Now I'm learning what I can do with them and not do with them on fabric. I love the paints and the learning experience!!! Am having a wonderful love affair!!!
    Happy painting,
    Carolyn
  • Hi,
    I have been using dye-na-flow and no flow together for many years without any problems and with great success... no idea who gave you that information at Jacquard but it is incorrect to my understanding. :confused:
    My advice would be to do a test first and see if you are happy with the results.
    FYI Dye-na flow works best on natural fibers or natural synthetic blends though it will work on many pure synthetics and be relatively permanent.
    Celia
  • I am definitely going to try the No Flow. I work on cotton. I had just bought the Jaquard water based resist, and was going to try using that. But, now I'll try both and see what happens. Gay
  • Too early...