Help with squeeze bottles
  • I use the squeeze bottles with the metal tips. They blotch badly, no matter how little pressure I use. I apply your paints and inks and was wondering if anyone else had this problem. If I use the bottle and set it down (tip up) it just continues to ooze paint/ink from the tip. I can't wipe the tip and transfer to my material fast enough to avoid the beginning blotch.

How do others avoid this problem?
  • How full is the bottle? Which paints are you using? You might try leaving some air in the bottle and not filling it completely full with the paint. It is also helpful to sometimes keep a scrap of fabric next to your work and do a quick few lines to get the paint flowing as you like.
  • Hi Donna,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with the bottle and tip. I absolutley love it so here are some tips.

1 - Don't have your bottle full - use about 3/4's full. Products that work well in it are: Lumiere, Neopaque, Textile Paint.

2 - Nib size can make a lot of difference, I only use number 7 for everything. If you go for a finer one, like #5, you may have to push too hard to get it to flow.

3 - Be sure to use some form of stopper in the nib to keep the passageway clear when not in use. Depending on the nib size I use either a pin with one of those large bead heads or metal wire with a masking tape flag at the top to keep from losing the wire and it also stops the wire from falling into the bottle.

When I'm painting I use between 5 to 10 bottles filled with color at one time. I find these bottles to be a really usefull tool. If these suggestion don't help you please let me know.

By, Kim / Jacquard Products
  • Thanks to both Kim & Sue. I use inks (pinata) on paper and water based paints on glass (Pebeo Vitrail 160) in the bottles. I never fill them more than 1/4 full for any application, and
    • I have tried unscrewing the top from time to time to relieve air pressure,
    • using both more and less product,
    • straight from the bottle and diluted.
    Does not seem to make a difference. I also have a collection of several different types/makes of both bottles and tips. Same problem with all.

The paint is thicker than the ink, but I have the same problem with both. I prefer to use the very fine tips but have the same problem with all the sizes. Even with the undiluted paint I only need slight pressure to dispense, and since it never really stops oozing anyway, sometimes no pressure at all!

I am now looking at air pens and outlining pens. Hopefully I can find something that works in a very fine line for the work I do, but without the blobs and ooze. I am even considering investing in technical pens, but I am frustrated buying products that do not work for me. :mad:

Thanks for all your help!
    Donna Jo
  • Hi Donna Jo, I just tried some Pinata in a squeeze bottle and metal tip. I didn't the oozing out that you described, but my guess is that these inks are too fluid for the size of the metal nib to get the fine lines that you want. The metal nibs that we carry are mostly used with gutta and other thicker paints. To get very fine lines with the Pinata ink, I think a technical pen may be your best bet. You can usually buy them in sets in art supply stores. Let me know if there's anything else! Good Luck!
  • Hi,
    If you choose to use a technical pen be sure to clean it thoroughly after use with the Piñata Clean Up Solution. The Piñata color may dry in the pen and block it if you don't. :eek:
    Celia
  • Has any one tried the Air Pen's? There are several brands but they all work on the same principle. I keep looking at them, but not sure if I want to invest $120-$140 for one with trying it first.

I'd love to find a used one cheap, but suppose that is too much to ask for.
  • Hi,
    I think as far as using piñata color in an air pen the same principle will apply as with the bottle and nib. Pinata is a very fluid color. I have used an air pen for resist in the past but personally I prefer the bottles and tips. The air pen has an air tube trailing behind it that can be cumbersome and get in the way.
    Celia
  • Donna Jo said:
    I use the squeeze bottles with the metal tips. They blotch badly, no matter how little pressure I use. I apply your paints and inks and was wondering if anyone else had this problem. If I use the bottle and set it down (tip up) it just continues to ooze paint/ink from the tip. I can't wipe the tip and transfer to my material fast enough to avoid the beginning blotch.

How do others avoid this problem?

sorry I no english

manuela
  • Hi,
    I hate to say this but it's actually down to practicing with them.
    Here are some tips: Don't overfill them, about half way is enough and make sure that the paint is fresh and doesn't have lumps in it. Apply an even pressure with your thumb.
    Celia