Pearlex to make "mother of pearl"?
  • I have been trying to find a source for for imitation mother of pearl. I finally found a company that has it, but after purchasing some samples I found it to be very bad quality, with lots of bubbles and not very attractive "swirling" patterns.
    I have been thinking about using Pearlex with some of the clear 2 part Lucite type products used for embeding. If I used Pearlex by mixing it with a small amount of the hardener, than mixed the 2 part resins together, than pored the Pearlex mix in and swirled into the mix, I think I could produce a nice faux mother of pearl effect in the final product.
    My problem is that I have been unable to find any info on using Pearlex in this manner. If anyone has ever tried this, or heard about using Pearlex in this way, I would sure appreciate you letting me know about. Thanks in advance!
  • Hi,
    Sounds interesting. The Pearl Ex is pretty stable and shouldn't interact with any of the other materials.
    Please let me know how you get on.
    Celia
  • Last night I tried using Pearlex with 2 part clear epoxy resin to produce a faux mother of pearl, and the results were quite promising. After mixing the epoxy and pouring it into a makeshift mold, I used a very small amount of pearlex mixed with the little epoxy residue left in my mixing cup. Using my mixing stick, I scooped up a little of my Pearlex mixture and dropped it into my epoxy, swirling it just enough to get a little "pearl" pattern in the mix. It wasn't bad, but in tilting the mould in different directions I saw thet gravity worked better than my patterning attempts. I was rewarded with a very positive response for my first attempt. It wasn't as good as I had hoped, but it was far better than the "poly pearl" I had purchased. I think tonights second try will get me to the swirl pattern I'm hoping for.
    I'll keep you informed of my progress. I think there are probably dozens of great effects that could produced with Pearlex and clear epoxy resin products.