Pearl Ex and Waxes
  • Hello,

I know this may sound a little weird, but I want to mix gold / silver Pearl Ex with clear wax-based shoe polish. I am currently making some prop armours but it needs to be light-weight and flexible. After researching, seems like shoe polish is what people put on foam to make faux leather for costumes. Could you give me some advise as to how and if it is possible to mix Pearl Ex with those waxes? What should the ratio be if I want to turn white foam to gold / silver?

Thanks for your help in advance~
  • Using the Pearl Ex powders in a clear wax based shoe polish as a finish for your project should work just fine. We recommend 12 - 15% by weight for full coverage (apx 2.5 ounces of Pearl Ex to 1 pound of wax), but we always suggest some experimentation before you jump into your final project.

anet
  • Thank you for your reply. I will order the product from my local art store then. Would mixing the product with polyester casting resin be okay, too? I am quite concern that things might explode or I might create deadly gases.