jacquard's green label is just as concentrated as Hdupont dye !
  • far as i know it is...i just sampled both and both look identical in strength after I mixed them into a polyclear for airbrush. What a rip! Jacquard doesnt even promote thier green label as a concentrated dye, but dupont sure does. So I suspect the Dupont is equally diluted as jacquard's.
    Yeh, the dupont (primaries) did disperse better but that's beside the point - "concentrated dye" -! oh man,what a LIE... I cant wait to try the procion stuff. It cost twice the dupont but say's its concentrated, so maybe...I would get some red label but nobody seems to carry it and Dharma says it isnt a concentrate...I'm getting the runaround with the descriptions here and there with different websites, catalouges, conflicting key words and ad stuff....anyway, this jaqquard dye really blows away that createx transparent and a few other tints i have.
  • Jacquard Red Label Silk Colors are twice the concentration of Jacquard Green Label Silk Colors. They are both the same type of dye, known as Remazol dyes. They are not hard to get by mail-order, and the price is not higher. Check the where to buy link on the product page. If you want to order from Dharma, just call them up and ask them to special order the Red Label dyes for you. There are also other sources for Remazol dyes.

Green Label dyes are better if you are going to set them at room temperature with the Jacquard Permanent Dyeset Concentrate, but Red Label are better if you're interested in concentrated dyes and are going to set them with steaming or with a high-pH chemical such as soda ash. You can use Red Label Silk Colors on cotton and rayon, too, which you can't do with Green Label (because of the other ingredients) or with H. Dupont dyes (because they are mostly acid dyes, for silk only).

Procion H dyes are another type of fiber reactive dye that is often sold in liquid form for use in silk painting, and which can be used on cotton or rayon as well. Both Remazol and Procion H dyes are usually set by steaming for half an hour. H. Dupont and the other French silk dyes require three hours of steaming.

Procion MX dyes can be used for painting silk, as well, but they react too quickly to be as good for special silk painting effects such as salt effects or alcohol effects. Procion MX dyes react at a much lower temperature than Procion H dyes do; it's okay to steam them on silk, but they will also react at room temperature. Since Procion MX dyes react so much more quickly than Procion H dyes, they also spoil more quickly, so you cannot buy them already dissolved in water. You have to buy them as powder and mix them up yourself. Procion MX dye powder is very economical, if you buy jars that contain at least two ounces, but you do need to be careful not to breathe the dye powder.

One thing I particularly appreciate about the Red Label Silk Colors is that you can find out exactly what chemicals you are using. There's no telling what's in any of the French silk dyes. There is no alcohol or other organic solvent, besides water, in the Red Label Silk Colors, so there are absolutely no fumes to worry about. Dupont dyes contain alcohol and other solvents, so you must be careful to use them only with good ventilation. Of course, since you are airbrushing, you already know about the importance of not breathing your materials. It's extremely unhealthy to inhale airbrush mist, whether it contains dyes or fabric paints.

Paula
  • thanks for the info. I've been pouring over your homepage articles for a week now....thanks there too.
    Right on about room temperature with the green label. Too cold and it would gunk up in the binder i put it in.