Dorland's Wax Medium on aluminum-2nd try
  • I posted this in the general section by mistake. Hopefully this is the right section and someone can help. See questions below. Thanks!

I have a couple of questions about Dorland's Wax Medium and aluminum. I have small panels (12" x 16" and 20" x 24") of aluminum sheet that I have textured via grinding that I need to seal and protect from oxidation and finger prints. I have been using Krylon UV Clear spray finishes but I don't like the smell and health hazard. Would Dorland's Wax Medium work for this? If so, what would be the recommended method for applying, drying time, buffing? Recommended temp range for the studio? I purchased a gallon thinking that it would be perfect, but I am having problems making it work. What I really need are detailed instructions, but nothing came with the product and I can't find any online. Any info or ideas that anyone has would be very welcome!

Thanks!
    Marie
  • Hi Marie,

Sorry to have missed the previous post!
    Dorland's Wax on aluminum should work just fine as a sealant - if what you're after is a thin coat you'll want ambient temps to be in the 70 degree range and you might also want to heat the wax a bit. It will go on more thinly that way. Drying time depends on thickness of the wax and ambient temps but your best bet is to give the wax several days to dry. Application methods range from spraying (when thinned to a liquid) to rubbing on and then smoothing with a soft brush.
    Hope this helps...
    anet
  • Thanks for the info! I read that I could coat, let dry, and buff to a satin finish and that's what I'm trying to do. I brushed on a thin coat and let it dry 4 days, but when I tried to buff it, it would not buff. It smeared instead. Do I need a longer drying time maybe? Or warmer air while drying? Or a thinner coat? If I get it right, after buffing will it eventually dry hard enough to resist scratching? How long will that take?

Thanks!
    Marie
  • Hi Marie,

It sounds like the wax is not completely dry. Increasing the temp will help - even just hanging a couple of 100 watt bulbs over the piece will help. You don't want to get too close to the waxed surface but if you get close enough to warm the aluminum that will speed the drying time.
    As for scratching - although there are resins in the wax which allow it to harden, because it is still a wax it will scratch.

anet
  • Thanks for your help! I'll keep working with it.

Marie
  • You are welcome! and please let us know how it works out.