linoleum block printing
  • I'm trying to print from a linoleum block onto fabric and have the end result be waterproof. The art shop recommended Versatex Screen Printing Ink, which didn't work at all- it was much too runny and filled in the small areas of the design. It also didn't seem to adhere to the block very well, resulting in a much lighter print then desired. Any reccomendations? I know I could go with oil-based block printing ink, but hate to have to clean with turpentine!
    Thanks!
    -Cindy
  • You might want to try the Jacquard Screen Printing Inks. They are heavier bodied and have a 'tac' which will help them adhere to your block for a thicker coating.anet
  • Hi,

Just had to tell you about how I print from linoleum block and woodcut on fabric. I use oil-base block-printing ink, but clean up with a product called Soy-Solv or Soy-Solve. It breaks down the petro-based ink, but leaves a soy oil on your block and brayer etc. Then I wipe everything clean and oil-free with "Simple Green" an earth-friendly household cleaner. Works great and I do printing on fabric for a living...among other things. Good luck in your printing.
    Byrdcall
  • I was wondering if you know if the solvent you described would harm the speedy-carve product. I am not sure exactly what it is made of. It appears to be some kind of eraser-type material.
  • how do you get the oil based printing inks to stay washfast onto fabric ?? is there a specific fabric oil based ink or an additive ??
  • Hi,
    Most oil based inks or paints should stay on the fabric as long as they are washed in a cool/cold water. Detergent can break the ink down over time but if you use a mild soap it should be OK. I am not aware of any additive for oil based inks that will make them fast on fabric. In future I recommend using a textile ink which will be an acrylic.
    Celia
  • I am linoleum block printing on cotton, linen & silk for pillow covers and on cotton and cotton/spandex for t-shirts. I have had good luck with oil based inks, but want to be environmentally responsible and people-friendly. I printed several nice pieces recently with soy-based water soluble ink (from Dick Blick) and was devastated when - after allowing to dry for 10 days - all items washed completely off or significantly faded in cold water on hand wash setting. Help!
  • Hi,
    Have you tried our professional screen inks. They might work for block printing. They are waterbased and non toxic. Otherwise you could add our airfix into any waterbased acrylic blockpriniting inks. Do a test first.
    Celia
  • I am looking at a note from 2006 :( so I hope you can help! You answered a request from someone who was block printing on fabric and was having a terrible time, as am I, with all sorts of paints and combinations, none of which are working. The Versatex is a big disappointment, sticking in the grooves of the block and not adhering; just a mess! I just ordered now the Jacquard printing ink. Do you still recommend it, or do you have any better ideas? I am so frustrated!!!
  • Hello,
    Normally brock printing inkls have a much higher viscocity than screen inks and if your image has very fine detail you may still run into problems with the professional inks. I am sorry not really sure what to suggest other than the new inks are recommended for block printing.
    Celia
  • Hi! I just read your post and am having the same problems you are. Very frustrating!! Have you had any luck? I haven't! But I haven't had a lot of time to pursue it. I did just email someone who sells beautiful block-printed fabric on Etsy and asked her what she's using. Hope you've gotten past the problem and are happily printing!

Thanks!
  • I am also using oil based inks on fabric. They are ok, but I would like an ink that stays darker after washing.