Adding vinegar to Dye Na Flow
  • My local craft store does not carry acid dyes (they never heard of it), I need to paint on nylon, can I add vinegar to Dye Na Flow to achieve permanence on nylon?
  • Hello AirRaid,

Dye-Na-Flow is a paint not a dye so nothing extra is needed. All you need to do is heat set the paint at the hottest temperature the fabric will tolerate and all should be hunkey-dory!

You can also check our store locator for companies that sell our Acid Dye via the internet or phone in orders. Here is a link to Dharma Trading http://dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1344-AA.shtml?lnav=dyes.html
    They sell our Acid Dyes and will ship your order the same day if you call before noon Pacific time.

Noelle
  • Dye-na-flow is a fabric paint, not a dye. Don't add vinegar to it; adding vinegar to fabric paint won't accomplish anything useful. To achieve permanence with fabric paints, heat set as recommended on the label, using an iron. For maximum life of your fabric-painted garments, wash them only by hand, or turn them inside out before washing on a delicate cycle in a washing machine. (A lingerie bag is a good idea.)

If you want to use dyes instead of fabric paints, you can always buy your acid dyes by mail-order. Most serious dyers do. For Jacquard acid dyes, you can try the Jacquard Store Locator. I also have a list of sources for dyeing supplies around the world on my website. You'll need to use moist heat to make acid dye permanent, in addition to an acid such as vinegar, following a good recipe for whatever dye you buy. You can either steam-set the dye, or simmer the fabric in a dyebath in a cooking pot, depending on the recipe you choose. (Never reuse a dyepot for food.)

There are also some acid dyes that are almost always locally available, though they will not perform as well. Food colorings are acid dye, convenient for children's projects. You can also find a kind of acid dye in the mixtures that are known as all-purpose dye, though the quality tends to be lower, and it is impossible to find exactly which dye is in the package, so results are unpredictable. The kind of acid dye that is found in all-purpose dye is less washfast (less permanent) than most other types of acid dye.

Paula
  • Thank you for the replies, I am an airbrush artist and I will be painting on a 90% nylon, 10% lycra outfit for a Sacramento King cheerleader. The outfit is black and the colors I will be painting are white, yellow and purple.
  • Not having tried it myself, I think the ideal way to airbrush your nylon/lycra outfit might be to use Dye-na-flow with the Jacquard Airfix additive (see chemicals), so that you don't need to do any heat-setting at all. This is the kindest way to treat the heat-sensitive Lycra spandex. You don't need to dilute Dye-na-flow for airbrushing. The Airfix additive makes the paint permanent on the fabric without any need for heat-setting, which otherwise is essential. I expect you'll have to mail-order it.

Paula
  • just a quick comment...if the fabric you are painting is already black then the Dye-Na-Flow isn't going to work. Because it is so light bodied it gives a very translucent wash of color, allowing any color behind it to show through. If you need to paint over the black you will want to take a look at either the Textile Traditionals or the Neopaque and Lumiere lines of fabric paint. They have a heavier body - and as a result a bit more hand - but you will be able to use them to create color over the black fabric. The Airfix product Paula mentioned can also be used with these paints.

annette
  • I didn't catch that when I read it. Instead, I transposed "white" and "black". That wouldn't work well at all, would it?

Do you have to dilute the other paints for airbrushing?

Paula
  • morning all,

The Textile Traditional, Neopaque, & Lumiere would need to be thinned for airbrushing, and can be up to 25%. That is, however going to create issues with transparency - again. One way to deal with that would be to lay down a layer of white paint first.
    And here's a thought... ;) check out the opaque Airbrush line - I just let that slip right through the cracks yesterday. Check the store locator for someone near you who carries it or give us a call and we can help you find some one.

Annette