• I've had my full set of Jacquard products sitting for about a year & unfortunately living in Florida haven't been able to keep it cooler than about 77 degrees. I went to use it this weekend and noticed that all of the paints were thick. When I originally bought them, I thought they were a bit thick to begin with--my Textiles would not flow well--it was hard to paint a nicely flowed thin layer. But was told that they were OK by one of your reps. When I added water then paint looks to lose the color pigment.

Is there anything I can add to improve the paints? Even some of the Dynaflo's are separated and no matter how much I shake them, there is still separated white at the bottom ( magenta & blue shades).

PS: I've read a couple of posts that complained about the paint washing off. I also painted several jeans with lumiere bronze color and ironed the pants twice just to be sure with another cloth between the iron on hottest setting. After the first washing on delicate cycle, about 75 percent of paint came off.

Thanx for any help.
    Jammie
  • Hi,

I live in FL myself and have paints in my closets that are many years old and I have not experienced the issues you describe and certainly not with all of the colors. Yes small quantities of color especially dye-na-flow if left in the bottle too long will dry out and the higher viscosity paints if stored in a poor environment will deteriorate = thicken and may on rare occasions separate.

Were the paints stored outside by any chance; in a garage perhaps? The deterioration as you have described sounds as though it was caused by exposure to extremely high temperatures over a long period of time.

If the paint is stored at temperatures below 77F they will last for several years. Acrylic is a very stable medium and the pigments we use are very light fast.

If you have tried adding water and this is not working I am afraid there is nothing else I can suggest unfortunately. As far as the Dye-na-flow separation is concerned that shouldn’t affect the performance of the paint too much. Due to the extremely low viscosity of the medium some pigments are harder to keep in suspension than others.

The Lumiere should not wash off. Paint it on thinly even dilute a little with water to enable better fiber penetration and then heat set on the cotton at linen setting or as hot as the fabric will bare for at least 2 – 5 minuets. As far as machine washing hand painted items is concerned. I don’t recommend it as the top loading US washing machines abrade the fabric terribly and can literally rub the painting off the clothing.

Celia
  • I live in S. Florida but my place tended to stay between 77-79 degrees, then I moved to a place that sometimes feels alot warmer than that--you know how hot it can get sometimes. I never kept in the garage where i can get up to 100 degrees.

I was wondering if just adding plain acrylic medium will help. If so, which kind should I use. I just don't want to have to throw out my whole collection of paints.

I forgot to mention that the Jeans were "stretch" jeans so were not 100% cotton- I think it was a 80 or 70 % cotton with the rest being the stretch ingredient. Does this make a difference?? I know that it is really rare now to find clothing that have only 100% natural fibers.

BTW, are you the rep for the south florida area, originally from Scotland? I believe we've met several times at both Jerry's & Pearls. We first met after I came back from a Scottish trip.