Having trouble using water-based resists on cotton
  • I'm trying to do some drawings on cotton T-shirts, using resists and Dye-Na-Flow. I've tried your Permanent Metallic Resist and your clear Water-Based Resist. I've tried all the tips I've read to keep the color within the resist, but it still bleeds out in places. Here's what I've tried: ironing the resist lines before applying color; after the resist has dried on the front side of the fabric, putting it on the back side (over the same lines); very carefully applying color using an eyedropper in the middle of the material so it can slowly bleed out to the resist line; not using wet-on-wet methods.

But, none of these has worked! The color always bleeds beyond the resist line. I really want to work on T-shirts. Can anyone tell me how to get those resist lines to hold? Thanks!

Toni
  • Hi,
    Unfrotunately the bleed is probably due to the open weave of the shirt and not the resist. You could try thicker lines or thicken the DNF with No Flow to prevent the DNF flowing so much.
    Celia
  • Thanks for your help. Another question on this subject: Some instructions for your water-based resists say that the lines should be ironed before applying paint, other instructions say to just iron afterwards so as to set the paint. Would ironing before applying the paint make the line hold back the color?
    Toni
  • Hi,
    I personally iron after I have painted. I see no benefit to ironing before. Make sure the resist is completely dry.
    Celia