Tips on correctly using iDye colors?
  • I plan to dye some pure white sheets (a natural linen fabric, according to the manufacturer) a beige color. I picked up four packets (13 grams each) of Ecru color Jacquard iDye Fabric Dye.

From what I've read, it's best to fill your immersion area (a stainless steel kitchen sink in my case) with very hot water (simmering temperate, not boiling), add the dye and stir, add salt (although I'm not sure how much) and stir, add pre-soaked linen fabric sheets, stir around a little (to help dye get between sheet folds, etc ) and leave to sit. After some time, remove and let dry.

If there's anything wrong in these steps, let me know? How long should I leave the fabric in the dye/water solution? Also, is it best to air dry afterwards?

Many thanks!
  • Am now thinking to use a large pot on stove instead of sink, so the temp can stay consistently hot?
  • Hi,

I have used Idye in very hot water without the stove and it has actually worked pretty well. I have even dyed black this way. Black needs a lot of heat and is not a good one to do in the washing machine because it doesn't get hot enough.

So I don't think it is a deal breaker at all, but the stove directions are the best directions. Salt is also very important if you want very intense color.

Did your dye process not succeed? The biggest problems with just hot water in a big container are probably more to do with stirring. Stirring is more important if the water is not really consistently hot.

• I haven't dyed the sheets yet, I wanted to get the green light from you that my step by step was the correct way to approach this?

Also needed to know how long should I leave the fabric in the dye/water solution?

Is it best to air dry afterwards?
  • 30 min is good time to let them go in the bath. Make sure when you stir and the sheets can move freely.

I would use 2 cups of salt and add the salt after 10 min. So 10 without the salt, 20 with. No need to go over 45 min. It doesn't get a lot darker after that.
  • Thank you!
  • Am verifying that you do NOT need a mordant like salt with iDye POLY?? I use iDye Poly for poly velvet and was under impression there is no mordant or setting agent? Thanks.
  • That is correct. The poly dye acts in a completely different way than other dyes. Mordants are charged particles usually positively, that attract dye. Polyester dye has no charge, just an affinity for polyester and other synthetic surfaces. The dye intensifier is the "carrier" that helps the dye penetrate the fiber. So although it is not a mordant, it does some of the same job that a mordant would do in that it allows the dye to stick to the fiber better.
  • Is the intensifier necessary? I notice it changes the color so prefer not to use most of the time. Thx.