Acid Dye Flesh Tones?
  • Hello, this is my first post so I hope its found the correct category. I have several of the Acid dyes, but trying to obtain a warm flesh tone is proving a bit hit & miss, so I was wondering if any members have found any colours in the range which have given good results on natural Merino wool? My best effort was rather too pinky. Thank you.
  • Hi Motley,

You may get some responses from other dyers with good info, but for myself, I find attempting to advise on a specific color tends to be a suggestion for testing, testing, testing.
    Because we all have our own ideas regarding just what a particular color looks like (see this link: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=&imgrefurl=http://www.idigitalemotion.com/tutorials/guest/skin_tone/skintone.html&h=0&w=0&sz=1&tbnid=HAYSTM0w31YdLM&tbnh=249&tbnw=203&zoom=1&docid=QOc1ZFD8RUZhOM&ei=IiE5UsfjG8OxqgG71IDYCg&ved=0CAYQsCU&biw=1280&bih=895) the best most anyone can do is recommend places to start.

annette
  • Hello: Hope not too late to be adding to this thread. I'm using Procion MX on cotton and struggling with flesh tones as well. The link above was interesting but not helpful as the color names there are not tied to any standard. In other words, my IDEA of cornflower may be your IDEA of periwinkle.

The dye manufacturer has responsibility to ensure the consistency of their dyes from lot to lot, but not for the result on the consumer's final product, as specified by numerous caveats on this website. Understood. And, it is great that the manufacturer provides as much helpful "how to" information on their product labeling and website as they do, but one thing is missing for the casual user.

I understand that many, many Jacquard customers are not casual users. They dye hundreds of yards of fabric a year. No doubt they recognize that it is in their best interest to do the "testing testing testing" and subsequent record keeping required where repeatability and consistency of their product are important. And I'm sure that most dyers understand that many factors control the RESULTING color on the dyed item. I daresay that users are willing to take responsibility for the variables we can "control" (or at least that are on our side of the sales transaction). But when we don't know what we're starting from, the "testing testing testing" above seems more than daunting to probably all but the most serious quasi-production dyers mentioned above.

Since Jacquard does package in very small quantities (2/3 oz), I'm guessing that packaging is aimed at dyers like me who only dye 4 or 5 items a year, but the help I can determine is available to me is an arbitrary mixing chart and an exhortation to "testing testing testing". However, the Pantone PMS System is universal and standardized. The way the colors are arranged on the Pantone chart helps the user to understand the color origin(s) of any given shade. If the pdf file named "Procion MX Color Mixing Chart" on this website were to designate a Pantone number to the color names in the left-most column of the chart, and to the 11 standardized dye colors in the third-from-the-left column, the average consumer would be in a much better position to know where to start. Hopefully this comment will be passed on to the people who might be able to do something about it.
  • We at jacquard absolutely understand this sentiment. Pantone is a wonderful resource that helps reduce the subjectivity that comes with our perceptions of color. It is not inexpensive to have your colors officially categorized by Pantone, however. We would like to have all of our colors done, but it is not financially possible now. I think most Jacquard customers would be surprised that we have a staff of about 30 people.

That is why we spend so much of our time helping our customers with issues they face. I don't think we would if we were a giant corporation throwing money at problems instead of our time.

Trust me, we would love if all of our colors were Pantoned, but that is a trademarked subscription based service. It is an infringement if you just match them yourself and use their color names on your product.

We are always looking into this and want to provide great service to our customers, but sometimes there is not enough time in the day or money in the coffers.

I am happy to help match colors if I can. As dyers we understand that getting exactly the right shade of color and getting the right temp so that dyes will strike at the same rate is one of the major challenges of this type of art.